Chapter 8

As KZ00 was in the mess hall eating and conversing with each other, the intercom came on. "Will Fire Team KZ00 report to the briefing room immediately" The Spartans looked up and grabbed their trays tossing out their trash. "Might wanna get used to this boys, they're gonna work us down to the bone it seems." Aloe huffed as the rest of her team followed behind her.
The four Spartans made their way to the Pelican loading up. "They said the thing we're destroying is a ship right? Isn't this carrier equipped with weapons that can do that themselves?" Alex climbed on sitting down in his seat. "That's a good question kid, well whatever that reason is, it can't be good. Like the Doctor said, always prepare for the worst." Aloe said placing her Light rifle on her back. "So, Doc, anything to report to us about this ship?" Shepard spoke putting two SMG's on his sides. "Well, from what I have, the ship is ONI. Old ONI, as if this ship was made from the beginning of the Covenant and Human war." Larson spoke over their comms. "Odd, why would a ship like that just be drifting in space for all this time? Any signals coming from it." Shepard sat down and crossed his arms. "No, its cold, just adrift, sitting there." Aloe sat down and tapped the side of her helmet. "Why does that sound so familiar?..." She asked herself as Joseph flew the Pelican out. "I don't think anything of it. If it's cold like that, then going in and blowing the thing up should be easy." Joseph said looking back at them.
As their Pelican reached the ship Aloe spoke over the comms. "So Doctor, anything at all yet? Is it really that dead?" Aloe waited for a response, she got nothing but some broken words and feedback. "The hell? What the fuck is messing with our signal?" Aloe stood up and looked over to Joseph. "Something's jamming up our shit. I can't say exactly but it's coming from the ship. Maybe that's why it hasn't sent any signals out for help." Joseph said landing on top of the ship. "Well, let's get down and blow this shit. I wanna get home to rest." Aloe said standing up with the others following.
As the Spartans walked down the halls they held their weapons up searching around, Aloe with a Light rifle and Boltshot, Joseph with a Carbine and Brute plasma rifle, Shepard with dual SMG's and a grenade launcher, and Alex with a sniper and a DMR with a bayonet. As they continued down the halls Aloe began to slow, eyeing something off in the distance. "Hold your positions. And if it is what I think this is, do not, I repeat do not, take off your helmets for any reason at all." She looked back at them, with the way she spoke Alex pulled his helmet down more as Shepard unhooked a grenade. Aloe slowly walked up to the side of the wall, using the muzzle of her gun to poke at it, a tentacle recoiled fast with a soft gargle. "Oh fucking shit..." Aloe backed off and turned to the others. "Boys, it is. Prepare yourselves." Shepard and Jospeh look at each other nodding before holding their guns higher. Aloe passing her Boltshot over to Alex. "Here kid, you're gonna need this." Alex slowly took the gun from her. "W-why?" Alex looked around nervously loading the gun. As he watched them stay silent he rose his DMR looking through the heat signatures. "Guys, there's a whole bunch of sigs. Guys?" Alex said backing up a little before the other three took a knee aiming at the vents. As soon as Alex was about to speak again the vents burst open, waves of flood infectors poured from them as the three Spartans began firing into the massive wave. Alex jumped back looking around before doing the same.
As the four Spartans ran back shooting into the horde of Flood chasing them down Alex shot one in the head, but it continued running on as if nothing. "What the fuck?! What the fuck are these things!?" "No time to explain, just aim for the limbs, they cant do shit if they cant move." Shepard spoke tossing a grenade into the horde. As they approached a large room, Aloe and Jospeh shut the door behind them. "Fuck, the damn Flood of all things!" Aloe slammed her fist onto the wall. "We need to find the armory on this thing, or we are for sure dead." Joseph reloaded his Carbine before switching to his plasma rifle. "Well, considering that door we just closed is the only door to this room, seems we gotta fight our way to it." Shepard nodded. "Don't worry, I think I have just enough thermites to burn us a path." He said unhooking grenades from his belt. "Um, guys? I know it's a bad time and all but, again, what are these things?" Alex spoke up walking over to them. "Right, the kid has never fought these things before. Shepard, Joseph, hold the door, Im gonna give the kid a quick brief on the Flood."
"A parasite? Oh great, if the whole zombie like charge thing wasn't scary enough." Alex said reloading the Boltshot. "Yeah sorry kid, but we didn't ask for this either. Look, we should be safe in our suits. We just need to get to the armory so we can cut through the parasite and blow this ship up before it gets to that colony." Aloe said holding up her rifle. "Alright, open up the doors, let's show this parasite what we're made of." Shepard and Joseph nod as they slowly pull open the door as Alex and Aloe shoot into the opening. When they fully pulled the door open a large tentacle reached put and grabbed Alex by the arm, he moved and tried fighting it back as it tried pulling him in. Aloe moved and shot it off him as two larger Flood jumped forward whipping their tentacle arms at the Spartans, they were able to shoot them down as Alex and Aloe moved forward with Shepard and Jospeh. "Those things were new, I think we might see more of them." Aloe said pushing forward. "Got no time to lose Spartans, double time!"
As they fought their way through Flood the Spartans soon reached the armory, Aloe and Joseph prying the door open. As they made their way in they began picking up grenades. A distant roar was heard with the sound of scuttling. "Shepard, Jospeh, hold the door! Don't let a single one through!" Aloe pointed to the door as the two Spartans ran over. Shepard pulled his grenade launcher out and began firing it down the hall. Alex soon loaded up and began shooting down the hall too, however the flood just kept coming growing ever so closer. "A-Aloe, now would be a great time to join us!" Alex said looking back a little. "Alright, alright, get outta the way!" Aloe moved and shoved the others to the side before lighting up a flamethrower it torching flood before her as she walked forward cutting a path. "Hurry, we're almost there!"
Soon the Spartans made it to the control room, closing the door behind them Aloe dropped the flame thrower and went to the console. The others fell back against the wall and sighed. "Was not expecting this at all today, out of all the shit that it could've been, it had to be the fucking Flood." Joseph grunted catching his breath. "Hey, I mean, its still fun to torch these things." Shepard chuckled a little. "Yeah easy for you to say! You actually have shit to burn those things, Alex and I only have basic guns!" "Lock it down, both of you." Aloe snapped looking back. "There's no room to scuffle now, you forget that this is the Flood thats right behind that door, and they are different from what we recall. So do not take this lightly." They both looked down and nodded as Aloe slapped the console, red lights began blaring as Aloe stands straight. "Alright kids, self destruct is under way. Lets make it to the Pelican before this place takes us with it." The others nod and slide the door open again, before Aloe could grab her flamethrower a tentacle reached out and snatched it away. She scowled and shook her head. "Alright, I am fucking done with these shits." The watcher on her back began to detach and latch on her arm, she swung down and a knight's blade formed on her arm, she lunged forward and cut through a few Flood. "You know, you could've used that a long time ago." Joseph said holding his gun. "Yeah, but eh." She shrugged and began running forward.
As the Spartans ran past slaughtered Flood they jumped onto the Pelican. As the Pelican was taking off, the other three Spartans were firing into the horde of Flood keeping them at bay. Just as they stopped firing when the door was closing an infector slipped through and latched onto Alex's helmet. He stumbled back and tried pulling it off. Aloe reached over and ripped it off squishing it in her hand. "Damn parasite, learn when youre beat." She dropped it on the floor and shot it with her rifle to incinerate the remains. Alex slid down the side of the wall and crossed his arms. "I hate, the fucking, Flood..." Aloe sat beside him and patted his back. "We all do kid, don't worry." As the Pelican pulled away, the ship exploded, leaving nothing but rubble in its wake.