Chapter 24

Aloe was in the giant training room, practicing her hand-to-hand combat. As she did Nova watched her from the observation box, she stared at her for awhile talking to herself. "Shes so, everything. Well, I cant back out now." She stood up straight and walked down to the door. As the door slid open Aloe was rubbing her wrist taking a breath. "Again, start the timer again." She readied herself as the targets began reappearing. Nova slowly walked up to her watching her as Aloe was going about hitting the targets. "A-Aloe. Are you okay to talk?" Nova asked a bit nervously as Aloe stopped her movements. "There something wrong? Youre never nervous about anything." Aloe turned to face her, her voice sounding almost worried but defensive and strict. "No, no. Nothings wrong with me, its actually you I'm worried about." Aloe squinted a bit before the simulation turned off. "Me? You're worried about me? There's no need for that, I am perfectly fine." Aloe turned back grunting seeing that the simulation had shut down. "I don't think you are, I've gotten to reading everyones files and I was understanding why everyone is the way they are. Then I got to yours, and when I did I." Aloe cut her off and looked down on her. "Do not, mention my old team. I refuse to dig up lost memories, if you were reading our files you should know this fire team was built for the sole purpose to have me forget those times." Nova took a step back watching Aloe, she could see she was holding back emotions, but mainly was holding back tears. "Aloe, I'm a doctor and I know that bottling up like you are isnt healthy. Especially after you lost your previous medic, you need to relax and come to terms with these things." Aloe grabbed her by the shirt and lifted her a little. "Did you not hear me Spartan? I said to not dig up lost memories, that was not a request, that was an order." Nova slowly reached her hands up to Aloe's wrist. "I'm sorry but I want to help you, I'm your medic and it's my job to make sure you all are healed, even if that means emotionally." Aloe dropped Nova as Nova looked around slowly then back to Aloe. Aloe had her hair covering her face as she closed her hand into a fist lowering her arm. "Why can't you just take a damn order for once?..." Aloe said in a shakey tone. Nova stepped forward before she hugged Aloe. "Because I'm stubborn, and because I know you're hurting. That's why you're always down here and always so mad at everyone." Aloe no longer responded slumping a bit into Nova's embrace. "So please, let me help you. Ive seen all youve done for this team, I saw the recordings from your previous missions too. Stop hurting yourself because of something that happened years ago." Aloe slowly stood up again having Nova let go of her. Aloe wiped her eyes and looked down at her. "I appreciate the concern. I really do...but please Nova, these are my demons that I must face..." Nova took a breath almost like she was about to speak but stopped herself. She held her arm and slowly began to turn away before Aloe grabbed her shoulder turning her back to pull her into a hug again. "I'm no good with these, emotions, but again I appreciate your concern doctor." Nova blushed softly before hugging back. "Dont sweat it Colonel, just doing my job."
    Back in the observation box, Shepard, Joseph, and Alex were all watching the two female Spartans talk. "Well isnt that sweet?" Shepard said leaning on the railing. Joseph nodded and smirked a bit. "Never seen the boss cry, even after Larson had passed. Think we could use it as black mail?" Shepard chuckled and looked over at Joseph with his helmet facing towards Aloe and Nova. "Way ahead of you." They both laughed as Alex sighed. "Shes gonna hunt you both down for that you know." Shepard and Joseph looked over at him and nodded. "But let us be damned if she can get it." Joseph responded as Shepard laughed tucking his helmet under his arm. "You guys are just, on some other level of stupid arent you?" Alex said face palming.