Chapter 23

Aloe and Noel sat alone in the mess hall, from the door however the other Spartans were listening in. "So what brought you to the planet Noel?" Aloe asked as she took a sip from her cup. "Well, we were sent for recon and it turns out we were sent to simply be wiped out." Noel sighed softly and twirled her cup around slowly. "With the flood and no other UNSC units but your fire team kinda gave everything away." Aloe placed her cup down and looked over to the trooper. "We aren't part of the UNSC anymore kid, you were alone out there. It was simply luck that had us run into each other." Noel smiled softly. "Then I guess this is the third time you saved me then huh?..." Aloe gripped her cup a little seeing the sadness in Noels smile, Aloe looked at the liquid in her cup before she slowly reached over and put an arm around Noel. "It's, okay kid. It should be me thanking you. You saved us, if it weren't for you we would be dead. Consider us even okay?" Noel slowly looked up seeing Aloe looking a little to the side as she kept her arm around her. Noel smiled a little more before leaning into the Spartans embrace. "Still, thank you. I wouldn't be here if it were not for you coming from no where to catch me." Aloe blushed softly before shaking her head. "Stop with that flattery, or I might just stop caring." Aloe responded jokingly as Noel giggled a little sitting back up.
    As the Spartans listened to the conversation Shepard and Joseph looked at each other shoving each other a little out of excitement. "She's gay bro." Joseph said smiling as Shepard nodded in response. "I told you, I told you." Alex shook his head as Nova was now off to the side, her arms crossed. Alex noticed getting Josephs and Shepards attention. "Hey Nova, what's up?" Shepard scooted closer. "N-Nothing, it's nothing okay." Nova responded a little startled at Shepards forwardness. "Common, you can tell us." Joseph said scooting closer as well. Nova stayed silent as she turned her head away from them. "Wait, wait, don't tell me you're jealous of the ODST." Alex said as he turned his attention away from Aloe to Nova. As soon as he said that Nova got even redder, that was enough for Joseph, Shepard, and Alex all to start getting closer to her. "You have a crush on the leader?" They all seemed to say in unison. "Yeah and so what? Maybe I do, why does that matter so much?" Nova said in a defensive tone before she turned and walked away. "Now I know why Aloe is always so annoyed." The guys sat there all laughing as they got up to follow her.

XXX

    As soon as Aloe was alone walking around still with her drink, Joseph went up to her and bumped her shoulder. "So boss, what's up with the new kids huh?" Aloe groaned as she changed her drink into her other hand so Joseph wouldn't spill it. "Well if you must know, they were sent on another mission so they could be killed. This time however, we were able to save them. Or, they were able to save us." Aloe looked off to the side almost in a confused manner. "Well either way they and us are safe and we have a slightly bigger crew now." Joseph chuckled and put his hands behind his head as they continued walking. "Say, you and that ODST girl seem to be magnetized or something. You always seem to find each other." Aloe looked over at him slowly taking a sip from her cup. "Like, I dunno. I'm getting the feeling she's getting attached to ya, like a crush." Aloe stopped walking raising a brow. "If you are implying that I have feelings for the trooper I must change that misplaced opinion." Aloe said as she finished her drink tossing it at Joseph. "I assure you the 'feelings' we have is nothing but a simple partnership. Like you and I, or me and anyone else on this ship." Aloe walked passed Joseph as he sighed. "Didn't think she would be this stubborn about it."
    Joseph sat a table with the other Spartans as Aloe was off training. "I don't think Aloe gets the whole love concept yet. She's very, blunt about it all." He said as Shepard caught a grenade he was tossing up and down. "You see, I think we gotta approach this a different way." Shepard said as he looked around the room. As he thought he looked over to Nova. "I think, there is one person with us that could change that up." Alex and Joseph looked over to Nova as well as she began turning red. "Why are guys all looking at me? She is annoyed with me as much as everyone else in here!" She said as she sat up putting her cigarette out. "But if the boss is truly gay, I think she might start growing on you, or the other way around." Joseph said. "For once the numbnuts gets it. If any of us got a chance at solving this out its gotta be you." Shepard said leaning forward. "And it all works out because you already got a thing for her right?" He added as Alex and Joseph nodded in agreement. "Ugh, fine. Only because you're right." Nova took out another cigarette lighting it. "If this ruins any chance I have with her, it's you guys that are gonna pay for it." She said standing up. "Eh, whatever, Aloe threatens us every day. I think we are used to it by now." Joseph chuckles as the others lean back in their chairs. "Ugh, this is exactly why I like girls." Nova said walking out of the room almost biting down on her cigarette.