XIII - We're Not Mates

I was standing outside of the pack house, waiting for Brittany to show up

I texted her late last night letting her know I wanted to go for the run she suggested, and now here I was, waiting.

"Well, hello there handsome."

I heard her voice and my heart started hammering in my chest. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, but I knew it wasn't going to end well for me.

"I-I don't understand."

Here we go...

"Do you feel anything, Sammy?"

"No, Brittany, I don't."

"Yes, you do! I know you do! You're just saying that because you don't want a mate, but you always wanted me before! You know you want me, Samuel. I'll be the perfect Luna."

Brittany was hysterical already. I was really hoping she would have waited to throw a fit until we were out of the pack's eye, but I should have known I would have no such luck with this woman.

"I'm sorry, Brittany. I never thought we were mates, I've told you this a thousand times. Please, just come inside and we can talk."

"NO! I'm not going anywhere with you. You've lead me on for all of these years, making me believe we were going to be mates. No one will ever want you, Samuel. No one, I will make sure of it! Mark my words!"

Jesus H. Christ. I knew this was going to be bad, but I didn't expect her to throw an all out fit in the front yard.

"That is quite enough, young lady. Go home before I have to make a bad situation even worse."

My father's voice was booming, and every single one of the pack members that had gathered to watch Brittany lose her mind was scurrying away with their tales stuck between their legs.

It was not often that my father got angry, but when he did, you had better run and hide, because he meant business. Right now, he was using his all too familiar Alpha voice, and it admittedly scared the shit out of me too; Even though I was now the Alpha.

Brittany turned her back and stomped off, crying the whole way.

"Samuel, inside, now."

Great, now I was in trouble too. I hung my head and started towards the house, attempting to prepare myself for the tongue lashing I was undoubtedly going to receive.

"Samuel, I have told you and told you to stop slutting it up with the pack members. You are the Alpha of this pack, the pack that I gave my everything to for many years. I will not have you come in, just three weeks into being Alpha, and make a joke out of.