XX - Avoiding

Rafael has been a mad man since discovering my ex's new residence here in the pack. Every time we leave, he's glued to my hip like the overprotective wolf that he is.

"My wolf is dying to mark you, Deirdra."

This was the third time in the last week that he's said this to me. I had been wanting to hold out, to wait, but...

"You know what? Why not? We're mates, and you haven't given me any reason to not give myself to you fully. But on one condition."

"What's the condition?"

"You have to make it as romantic as possible. I'm talking a wicked date night to lead up to the epic virginity losing we're going to have."

I was trying to be serious but funny, and obviously, Rafael picked up on that.

He was leaned over the kitchen island laughing his ass off. I mean slapping his hand on the counter, tears running down his cheeks from laughing so hard, the whole nine yards.

"Okay, okay. It wasn't that funny, babe."

My eyes widened as I realized what I just said. I haven't yet called him anything other than Rafael or Raf, so I felt like this was a big step in the right direction of our mate-ship.

"Did you just, call me babe?"

"Yes, Raf, I did. Don't make a big deal out of it or I won't do it again!"

He had a wicked glint in his eye, and I swear I could see the wheels turning.

"As for this date, I will spend the day planning it, but I will have to do it alone. So I'll be spending most of the day out, and I want you to be ready by 7 o'clock, okay? Dress your fanciest."

"Raf, I don't have any fancy clothes here. All of my fancy clothes were left back in Thomasville."

"Well here, take my card, and go into town and get yourself something nice. A dress, shoes, jewelry, get your hair done, the whole nine yards."

"Rafael, I'm not going to go spend your money like that."

"Our, money, baby. It's ours. I'm feeling epic, so go have a girly day, pamper yourself."

Just as I was about to answer, I heard someone clear their throat in the living room.

Rafael and I exchanged a questioning look since neither of us was expecting anyone.

Rounding the corner, I was not-so-pleasantly surprised at who stood in our living room.

"Uh, would you mind if I came with you? We haven't ever really had the chance to talk, and I would like to know my sister-in-law."

I was absolutely dumbfounded. I looked at Rafael for any sort of advice, because I just wasn't sure what to do. Everything in me wanted to hate her, but she was right. She was going to be my sister-in-law, so I needed to at least give her a chance.

Everything that happened was in the past, a part of my old life, so I needed to learn to let it go.

"Sure, Brittany. Why not? You can help me pick something out for tonight."

Her eyes lit up at this, and she pulled her hair back out of her face, earning a gasp from Rafael and me.

The skin on her neck from where she had been collared was scarred and angry looking.

Alpha Samuel had only left her there for a day because when his father returned from his trip he was ready to castrate him if he didn't remove the collar and let her go. But still, the collar was silver and just one day did enough damage to have her neck completely raw and bleeding.

Rafael looked surprised, but pulled me in for a hug and kissed the crown of my head.

"Alright, well I'm going to go get dressed, I'll be back out in a few. Make yourself some coffee or tea if you want, whatever you need."

Rafael seemed surprised by how nice I was being to his sister, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't hate her forever, and the thing is, no matter how much I wanted to hate her for what she did, she didn't force him to do anything.

I heard Rafael come into the bedroom behind me, shutting the door after he walked in.

"Thank you for being so nice to her, and thank you for giving her a chance, Dee. You didn't have to, but you are. So thank you for that."

"Drunk or not, you still know the difference between right and wrong, and he knew what he was doing was wrong. I can stay mad at her for knowing that we were together but still going after him if I want, or I can be the bigger person and realize that while what she did was wrong, she didn't force him into anything. He had sex with her of his own free will, and I will not continue to hate my mate's sister for my ex's actions.

"I love you, and in loving you, I need to love her too. So it's time I put the past behind us and moved on with my life. I will not hold hate in my heart any longer. It does absolutely nothing for me but holds me back from my future. Also, I never had a sister, so it would be nice to have one in her."

"You, my lovely mate, are the most amazing woman I have ever met. Now, go get dressed and enjoy your girls day with Brittany. I love you. See you at seven."

With a swift kiss, he was backing out of the room and heading out of the house. Who knows what he would plan today, but I had a feeling it was going to be amazing."

It was a beautiful day out, and my weather app told me the high was only 78 degrees today. So I slipped on a light sundress and my favorite pair of sandals and made my way into the bathroom.

My hair was a mess. My natural waves/curls did not agree with my new short hair cut, leaving me with a mini afro. I decided to use some leave in conditioner and water to make it less frizzy, then I braided the front of my hair back and felt ready to go. I was satisfied with how I looked, so no need to dwell on why the hell I had to cut off all of my hair. It would grow back; eventually.

"Okay, Brittany, ready to go?"

She looked up from her phone and looked me up and down, before smiling my way.

"Can I tell you something, Deirdra? At the risk of sounding like a bitch?"

Oh god, please don't tell me nice Brittany was going to be gone now that Rafael wasn't around.

"Go on.."

"I never really noticed how pretty you were before because I envied you and what you had. But you really are pretty, Deirdra. I just wanted to tell you."

Wow. I was not expecting that at all.

"Thank you, Brittany, that really means a lot!"

"Please, call me Britt. Rafael does and so does everyone else that's close to me."

Today was going to be a good day, I could just feel it.