Lousy Truth

~Rapunzel~

I couldn't take my eyes off the clock. Each minute that passed was a minute less before Jack was going to want the truth. Why was I acting so weird? It's not like I didn't know he was too good for me in the beginning. I knew he could and would have anyone he wanted, whenever he wanted. I knew that it wouldn't ever just be me. So, why was it bothering me now? Couldn't I just be happy he paid me any attention at all? I mean, were friends. Great, great friends. The mutual attraction won't ruin that. His attraction to other girls won't ruin that.. but this attitude I can't kick? That will ruin it.

Just snap out of it, Rapunzel.

Friends is good enough.

The few secret kisses on Halloween meant nothing.

The bell rang, and I jumped up quickly grabbing my stuff. Jack stood up too, glancing at me before heading out the back exit.

Strange.. Am I suppose to follow him or..?

Flynn's arm wrapped around my waist, squeezing a little, "you better hurry, Blondie. Can't just keep the kid waiting all day". His breath tickled my cheek, and venom bit at the edge of his words.

"Right", I mumbled before heading out the back.

Only a few students went out the back exits of their classrooms. Most being underclass men that were headed to a trailer class. It took a moment before I saw Jack. He had made his way down to the football field and was now leaning against the back of the bleachers, facing away from me.

The ground was a little wet, I don't remember it raining. My eyes were glued to watching my step, my mind suddenly very concerned with making sure my shoes weren't getting completely messed up.

I didn't know what to say when I reached him, a simple greeting didn't feel right but the words came out anyway.

"Hi, Jack". I cringed, mentally. Could I have said anything stupider? Really?

Well, I guess I actually could have..

Ugh, not important. Focus.

Jack looked at me, moved to sit on the bottom bleacher bench, "I want to know what's wrong, Rapunzel. Did I do something wrong?".

I shook my head, "No, of course not. it's nothing, really, I'm just being a stupid girl".

He sighed, and I could have sworn I saw his eyes roll. After a moment, Jack patted the spot next to him, "explain".

I tried not to hesitate and casually sit down but I couldn't stop my arms from wrapping themselves around my middle. I wanted to hide, to absorb into myself, for a hole to open up in the earth and suck me in. Anything but to have this conversation. He was going to think I'm completely daft.

"It's stupid, I.. I just- I think I got ahead of myself, and forgot my place. I mean, we're friends and sure, I really like you but I know this wouldn't work. I just started hoping that maybe it would and I guess, today it really hit how silly that was", my words were fast and barely came out clearer than a mumble but Jack seemed to catch every word. "I mean, let's be real, you are way too attractive to be tied to one person".

My mouth continued rambling and rambling.

"You could obviously have anyone, and everyone, so I understand that this ever being just an 'us' is totally stupid. I just don't think I could be comfortable being friends with any benefits knowing that it's not just me you're seeing, so I hope we can just forget everything that happened the other night. I don't want to lose your friendship just because I don't let myself kiss you, even though I really want to, I mean-.."

Many minutes had passed before I realized he didn't seem to be listening anymore. I stopped, waiting for what he was going to say.

Waiting for him to laugh at me.

Waiting for his agreement.

Waiting for all of this to just be over.

5 minutes...

11 minutes...

Finally, after almost 15 minutes, he spoke.

"Is that really what you think of me, Rapunzel?"

What? The hard edge of his voice was unnerving. I had said something wrong, hadn't it? We clearly weren't on the same page. Playing back my words, over and over, what did I say that offended him?

Too good for me?

Too attractive for me?

"It is, wow.", Jack practically spit the words at me now, taking my silence as his answer. He stood up and dragged a hand through his hair.

I cringed, watching him pace back and forth, "wait, Jack, what're you talking abou-".

He cut me off, "Nevermind, Rapunzel. This whole thing was stupid of me anyway". He threw his bag over his shoulder, and pulled his hoodie hood up.

"Jack, I think you misun-"

His glare stopped my words, right before he turned away and left me wondering what had just happened.

---------

~Jack~

"let's be real, you are way too attractive to be tied to one person", the back handed compliment slapped me hard.

Was she honestly implying that I was a player, that I needed multiple partners to be happy? Really?

"Is that really what you think of me, Rapunzel?", too stunned for anything else.

I couldn't listen to her anymore. I heard her voice still, but known of the words stuck. She thought I was that kind of guy. After everything. What happened with the tree house, what happened to feeling safe with me?

What had happened between now and then that brought this on? I had been nothing but a perfect gentlemen to her since day one. Sure, I flirted strongly but she never had a problem. Hell, sometimes she even came back with a comment more daring than mine.

"It is, wow", I didn't notice the words coming out.

Had I kissed her too soon? She didn't seem to have a problem with it, especially considering she pulled me in for more. Aggressively too.

Or was this all just some bullshit excuse? Had she decided that she didn't want this and this shit was better than just saying it to me?

Was it Flynn? He was acting suspiciously nice today.

My mind ran on an on with possibilities. I felt myself moving before I'd even realized I had decided to leave.

"Nevermind, Rapunzel. This whole thing was stupid of me anyway", I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to look at her anymore. I'd never been this crushed before, I thought everything was going great. How silly of me.

I didn't want to, but I couldn't stop myself from looking at her once more. Her eyes seemed sad, but why? She had made herself perfectly clear. If she thought that badly of me, we obviously weren't really friends, nevermind anything more than friends.

---------

---------

Hi, guys!(:

Sorry updates are slow, I'm visiting my mom right now.

This was suppose to end cutely but um, yeah .-.

They'll be all good soon, lovelies!<3 (Maybe, we'll see what happens cx)

Xoxo,

Serena.(: