Ch. 2 "Clark Jordan"

Chapter 2

I spent the rest of 2nd period with Kyle and Mr. Franklin, figuring out identity things for him.

He's going to come to school as a transfer from Idaho, which is a complete lie and Kyle even informs me that he's never been to Idaho. Kyle hasn't said very much during this whole process and I find it disrespectful, considering this is all for him.

"What should be your name?" My principal asks in deep thought. He scratches at his recently shaved chin. It's kind of comical, since the action is so cliche when thinking.

"I don't know," Kyle mumbles. "Why not Bruce Wayne?"

I roll my eyes and share a look with Mr. Franklin. He sighs, "please be serious, Mr. Blackburn."

Kyle smirks, finding this all completely amusing. "It's really not a big deal. I could be named Jason Bourne and no one would give a shi-"

"Hey," Mr. Franklin interrupts, "watch the attitude." One of the receptionists calls him and he stands. "Decide a name. I'll be back in a jiffy."

We sit in silence as he makes his way out of the room, leaving us alone. I can tell this is going to be awkward. I look over at Kyle who is leaned back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest. I take in his good looks, hopelessly admiring his built frame. My eyes trail over his arms that flexed under my view, veins popping out. His skin is just slightly tanned, like a perfect celebrity. It was when I notice the smirk on his face that my cheeks start to flush.

"People are usually a tad bit more subtle when checking others out," he muses. He didn't say this in a flirtatious tone, if that's what you were thinking. No, he said it like how people say the sky is blue. A simple statement.

"Oh," I say stupidly. Oh? Really? I need something better than oh. "I mean, it's not like I was or anything. There's nothing to check out." I cringe at what just came out of my mouth.

He chuckles, too confident to be offended. Not that he didn't have a right to be confident, this boy was gorgeous. It makes sense that he's an actor, but I'm just wondering why I never saw a movie with him in it. Surely Brandon or Emerson would pick a movie with a guy like this in it. Drooling over guys is a regular thing for us, so I don't see why we never drooled over Kyle Blackburn.

His piercing eyes stare back at me, holding me in a strong gaze. I've never been stared at this way, and I didn't like it. He looks angry, yet thoughtful. But maybe he always has that look. I sitting know but I don't like it.

Quick to get out of his death stare, I speak, "have any ideas for a name?"

He bites his lip momentarily, keeping his eyes locked with mine. "Hm."

"Hm," I repeat.

His eyes flicker with amusement for a split second before going back to the rock solid stare. "Maybe you should pick my name."

"W-why would I pick your name?" I stutter. It's partly due to the confusion and the other part is due to his looks.

He shrugs. "It's not like I got to pick my actual name in the first place. It's weird to name yourself. Then again, it's also weird to create a false identity for yourself when you aren't even a superhero." This is the longest he's spoken to me, and for some reason it feels so real, like he's meaning this. His voice is upset, which tells me he doesn't like that he's going undercover. Maybe I'm reading too far into his simple words, but who knows.

"Who's your favorite superhero?" I ask.

"Uh," he hesitates and looks at me skeptically, "I don't know. Probably Superman."