Ch. 34 "The Heart Wants What It Wants"

Chapter 34

"No talking."

Detention. Once again.

I glance back at Kyle who is sitting directly behind me. He smiles, waves, and mouths 'I love you.'

It's so freaking adorable that it actually hurts.

But what hurts even more is that I can't find the words to say I love you back. It just doesn't feel right with what has happened.

I start working on some of my English homework to make the time go by faster. It's not very productive since Kyle keeps throwing pieces of paper at me once again.

I decide it'd be interesting to read one of them.

I don't want another pretty face. I don't want just anyone to hold. I don't want my love to go to waste. I want you and your beautiful soul

I turn around in my chair, looking at Kyle while he listens to music in his headphones. He looks up and waves once again.

I rip out a piece of paper from my notebook and start writing.

The monitor is literally playing candy crush, so we have nothing to worry about with getting caught.

Never thought that you would be the one acting like a slut when I was gone. Maybe you shouldn't kiss 'n' tell. You really should've kept it in your pants, hearing dirty stories from your friends. Maybe you shouldn't kiss 'n' tell

I crumble it into a ball and toss it over to Kyle, hitting him on the head. He starts opening it, a huge smile on his face. The smile deflates immediately.

He starts writing, biting his lip and occasionally squinting his eyes as if to remember the lyrics. As expected, he throws the paper to me.

So this is me swallowing my pride, standing in front of you saying, "I'm sorry for that night." And I go back to December all the time. It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you.
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine. I'd go back to December, turn around and make it all right. I go back to December all the time

I read it, continuously glancing back up at him. He sits with a pleading look.

I mouth 'creative' and crumble the paper back up, shoving it into my coat pocket.

Deciding to write him one last note, I quote one of his favorite songs that happens to fit very nicely in our situation.

Don't tell me you're sorry 'cause you're not. Baby when I know you're only sorry you got caught. But you put on quite a show, really had me going. But now it's time to go. Curtain's finally closing. That was quite a show, very entertaining. But it's over now. Go on and take a bow

I throw it to him, sticking out my tongue childishly. I then turn back around in my seat and try to do my homework. We killed about half the time doing that.

"I'm going to go get some food in the teachers lounge," the teacher announces. "If I come back and you're talking, I extend the time."

I give her a thumbs up and Kyle shoots her one of his beautiful smiles. The other people in the class mumble things of distaste.

She leaves and everyone starts talking.
Kyle gets up to sit in the chair next to me. "That last note really offended me."

I shrug. "It suited."

"Let's leave," he suggests.

"No," I argue. "There's no way I'm going to risk getting another detention."