Ch. 21 "Call Me, Beep Me"

Chapter 21

"Please don't involve me."

I'm standing at Luke's doorstep. It's freezing outside. Light snow fell during the dance and covers the ground. Every time I let out a breath, it appears in the night sky.

I didn't want to go home to an empty house, so I told Anthony to drop me off here. My mascara is ruined, and I probably look like the bride of Frankenstein dressed as Ariel the little mermaid on Halloween.

"Is Trent here?" I ask, ignoring his rude comment.

"No," Luke answers bluntly and leans on his doorframe.

"Well," I sigh, "are you going to let me in?"

"Cassie, I care deeply about you and everything, but if you're crying because of my best friend..."

"I won't talk about it," I promise. "I just want to forget about it right now."

Luke nods and then moves from the doorframe, gesturing me to come inside. I step in and follow Luke as he walks upstairs.

"So, are you going to stay the night?" he asks. "Doesn't mean we're bound for life."

I roll my eyes. Luke leads us into his room, and I take a seat on one of the couches he has. It's a large, fancy room that's highly impressive.

"I mean, Laura's watching Frankie, and I'd stay with them but Kyle's living there right now. And then Braden and Emerson are supposed to be staying at Peter's after a party that I'm not going to. So basically you're my only option."

"Glad I'm the last choice," he mutters grumpily and reclines on his bed. He starts tossing his phone in the air and then catching it before it hits himself.

"Okay, Mr. Please Don't Involve Me," I say with a laugh.

"You know I don't want to have to pick sides," he whines. "It sucks if Kyle hurt you and I'd beat him up if he wasn't my best friend, but he is and I can't. Bros before hoes."

I laugh a little, knowing Luke's saying it lightly and not meaning it as I'm a hoe, or at least I'm hoping. "So you pick his side?"

"If it came down to it," he pauses, "most likely."

Luke's phone vibrates as he throws it in the air, which catches him off guard and causes him to drop his phone on his face.

I do my best not to laugh, seeing that it probably really hurt. It was just really funny to see, and I feel bad laughing but can't help it.

"I'm in so much pain," Luke groans and holds his nose with his right hand. "Get the phone please."

I laugh and stand up to grab his currently vibrating phone. "Uh..it's Kyle."

"Get it!" Luke demands before running out of the room.

I press accept and hold the phone to my ear without saying anything. I wait patiently for Kyle to start talking.

He doesn't.

All I hear is muffled noises as if he butt-dialed Luke. Music is noticeable, so I assume he's at a party since the dance ended an hour ago. I don't hear anyone talking, so I decide to hang up. Just as I'm about to press end, I hear Aaron.

"Alright, alright. My turn. Never have I ever been in love."

I hear some whispers, but I can't make out what any of them are saying. There's just one thing someone says that really catches me off guard.

"CJ, you've been in love?" A girl who I can't recognize from voice questions in shock.

"I took the damn drink, didn't I?" Kyle sasses back rudely.