Ch. 27 "Update: Patient Growled"

Chapter 27

On Sunday morning, I woke up to the annoying buzzing of my phone.

It's the 21st, which is usually the day that Emerson, Braden, and I go Christmas shopping. However, Emerson's family came to town earlier than usual, so it's just supposed to be Braden and me this year.

That was until Braden decided spending time with Owen was more important.

From: Luke Hart

Update: patient is still mute

He hasn't spoken in three days. It's not easy, especially not after we just had a little fight that I'm still iffy about.

I respond to Luke's message that was written in the group chat as I pull the covers off of my body and begin to get ready.

To: Luke Hart, Superman

Update: patient's girlfriend upset

When I get downstairs, Frankie and my dad are playing a game of cards at the kitchen table.

From: Luke Hart

Update: patient smiled at phone

"How's Kyle?" my dad asks and shoves a pancake in his mouth.

"Still not talking," I sigh and take a seat next to him, peering at his cards.

"Poop!" Frankie cries and pouts his lip.

To: Luke Hart, Superman

Update: Frankie misses patient

"Hopefully after Christmas he'll be okay," I say and grab a pancake of my own.

From: Luke Hart

Update: patient left the basement

I sigh, running a hand through my hair. Frankie reaches to hold my hand for support. My dad shoots him a little wink before nodding at me.

"He'll be okay, Cassie," my dad assures. "Just be there for him."

I nod. He's right. I haven't seen him since Friday morning. It was too hard. Luke's good with these kind of things, but I'm not. I haven't been through something like this since my mom passed away, my dad shutting out.

From: Luke Hart

Update: singing Say by John Mayer to patient

"I'm going to go over to Trent's," I say and stand up from the table. "We can all go if you guys want?"

From: Luke Hart

Update: patient threw a hanger at me

"I promised dad that I'd go shopping with him," Frankie whines. "Tell Kyle I say hi."

From: Luke Hart

Update: patient is dangerous

I let out a snort before raising an eyebrow at Frankie. "What about Luke?"

"I don't like him," Frankie mumbles and jumps off the chair.

"Careful, bud," my dad yells.

I help him clear the table, taking the syrup and butter to the fridge. He presses a kiss to my head before heading upstairs to get ready. I too quickly make myself somewhat socially acceptable.

"Have fun, boys," I yell just as I step out of the house.

Since I'm a senior without a car, I begin my walk to Trent's house. Luckily he doesn't love too far away and it's not too cold outside.