1 Cookies make the world go round (Yuko)

My name is Yuko, Takagi Yuko. I am an average fifteen-year-old girl, living in a calm neighborhood's apartment building with my family; my dad Hideki, my mom Aya and my nine-year-old kid brother Reiji.

I live a relatively normal life where little exciting ever happens, but that all starts to change when someone new moves into the apartment next door.

..........

"I think someone finally moved into the apartment across the hall." Mom says as she fills our bowls with rice for dinner.

This piece of information immediately catches the attention of the other three around the table. "Really? I didn't see or hear anyone." Dad muses, passing around the pickled ginger.

"I'm sure. When I left for the store this morning, the door just shut. Too bad I didn't catch a glimpse." Mom pouts. "But we should welcome them. It's only polite and good neighbors make for good friends as they say." she says with a smile.

Dad chuckles as we think back to our previous neighbor. Mom was so welcoming to the older lady that she gained a babysitter out of it. It won't happen again of course. I can do the babysitting myself thank you very much. It's too bad the lady had to be moved to a nursing home after her health took a turn for the worse.

"I'm guessing those cookies aren't for dessert then?" I mope as I eye the homemade biscuits on the counter.

"Nope." Mom smiles, making Reiji groan in dismay. "So here is the battle plan... I'm going with the charm offensive. So Yuko, I want you to put on a big smile for me later and take those over there."

"Eh?!" I gasp. "You're sending your daughter to a stranger's home?" I ask her baffled, making her 'Tsk'.

"Don't be smart with me. And they won't be strangers for long." she scolds before gaining a cheery smile. "Now do your best!"

"Dad..." I whine. But he only shrugs. He's no help at all.

So after dinner is finished, mom sends me on my way with a 'good luck' and thumbs up. At least I don't have to do the dishes as a reward.

I stare at the door across from our own. It's just a normal door, painted red by the building's manager. But what lies beyond, will be anyone's guess. What if it's a child abductor? Or worse, a squishy lady who stinks like cigarettes and likes to hug. I sniff the air subconsciously.

I take a moment to gather all my courage, knowing mom will chew me out if I bail out and knock on the door.

Silence fills the hallway and I somehow know my family has only fallen silent in the hope of catching a snippet of conversation.

The silence seems to last a long time and I dare not knock again. What if they don't want to be disturbed? I'm starting to grow pretty sure that is the case or no one is home and already make to move away, ready to beg mom that we can eat the cookies before they spoil, but the sound of the door opening snaps my attention back.

From everything I was expecting, this wasn't it. Before me stands a boy, looking only slightly older than myself, though also slightly shorter. He's clad in all black; black pants, black shirt, black shoes... even his hair is a deep rich black except for a white starburst and the white bandana. 'Emo much?' I think to myself before my eyes are drawn to his.

I can feel my jaw slacken a little. He has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. They're a dark ruby red, a shade I've never seen before. I want to believe they're contacts, but I don't see any edges or anything indicating that they are.

Er... Those ruby red eyes are starting to appear more blood red as his eyes narrow, his lashes framing them nicely. I step back, taken aback by the glare thrown my way and suddenly remember why I'm here.

"Ehm, hi. My mom asked me to give you these cookies as a welcoming gift. Er...ehm. I'm your neighbor by the way, Yuko Takagi. Nice to meet you." I stammer.

He doesn't say anything, making me even more uncomfortable. "So uh, here you go." I tell him, just about pushing the plate in his hands, making him look a bit startled. "Enjoy!" I conclude before turning on my heel and marching off, quickly closing the door behind me to hide my flustered self.

I look to see my parents looking at me expectantly with a raised brow while Reiji laughs to himself. "She made a fool of herself."

I glare at him. "Hey! Next time you try. That guy he's... he's..." I point at a loss for words. I don't know what it is, but he has this presence over him... I can't put my finger on it.

My parents hear me out about the strange boy and all my mom seems worried about is that he seems to be alone. "Mom, I don't think he minds." I tell her, but she never was a very good listener.

...............

Meanwhile, Hiei stands inside his hallway, staring at the plate of cookies rather dumbfounded. Is he supposed to actually eat them? Why give someone cookies for Spirit world's sake?

He has half the mind to throw them away, plate and all, but he hasn't eaten properly for a while and his hunger is getting to him. Maybe one doesn't hurt? And if it does, he'll be sure to let that weird girl know.

Two hours later, he glares at an empty plate, upset that they have proved so satisfactory. 'Damn it.'