36 Missing someone? (Yuko/ Hiei)

"Mh?"

I sit up in bed, staring into the darkness. It's quiet. I can't even hear the frogs croaking in the pond outside or the crickets chirping in the tall grass.

Getting to my feet, I look around the room in confusion. The air feels so thick; it's like moving under water. What is this oppressive feeling that woke me up?

Sliding the door open to the hallway, I see nothing much. How odd, even the darkness seems darker then usual. Is that even possible?

"Grandma?" I call quietly, hoping she will answer, but I get no reaction. Now that I'm more awake, I note that I can't even sense her presence. Is she out? In fact; no one seems to be here but me.

I shiver, feeling goosebumps rise on my skin. Subconsciously bad memories start to play in my mind. I try to shake it off as best as I can though. I'm not the same person I used to be; I'm stronger now.

My bare feet carry me through the hallway, passed the kitchen and through the sitting room. I pause in front of the sliding doors leading outside. I let out a shaky breath.

It doesn't take a genius to find out that something is off around here, but what bothers me is that I can't tell what exactly. There is no demon on the other side of this door, that much I can tell. For all I know there could be nothing there. But my gut feeling says otherwise. It's telling me to be wary.

I look down at my hands. They're clammy and shaking, in fact, my whole body is trembling like it's anticipating something and I realize with a start; "I'm scared."

Looking up to face the door, my fingers find the grip. As I put some strength into sliding the door open, my fingers almost slip from the cold sweat gathered on them.

A chilling breeze runs past my bare legs once I'm exposed to the world outside. Greeting me is even more darkness. But somewhere inside that darkness is something, or someone...

I tense up as something moves, the crunching of leaves and rock under someone's shoes reaches my ears and the dim moonlight highlights a tall silhouette.

"Who are you?"

.........

~Hiei

"B-class...." How dare those Spirit realm bastards categorize me so lowly?

I whip out my fist angrily, punching the nearest tree, splintering the wood. It groans in protest before the cracks grow until the tree succumbs. With a sound of agony it crashes to the earth, leaving the birds o go find a place to chirp their morning tune someplace else.

Spirit world... they are not going to receive any of my help any longer. I will not put my life on the line for anyone that underestimates me! They can do whatever they want, I'm sitting this one out. And when I get the chance, I'm taking it with both hands.

I'm leaving this world behind. I'll return to Demon world and establish my place within the ranks I belong to. Not Koenma or the detective is going to stop me from doing so.

Stepping out of the woods I pause, surprised at where my feet led me; Genkai's temple.

I feel my heart tighten. "Yuko." My anger subdues immediately despite my will to hold on to it. It fuels my will to leave. But here I find myself with her name on my lips and this odd tranquility worms its way into my mind.

A human girl, ditzy and emotional, taking on things bigger then herself because she feels it's the right thing to do. Her caring presence is like an infection, spreading out and cocooning everyone who she reaches out to in its grip, leaving a thick shell wherein hope resides, alongside love; A shelter for anyone seeking refuge from injustice that is thrown upon them.

And to top it all off, the cherry on the pie, a human with great potential for power as it turns out; growing in strength by the day. Even trough her complaining I can see the ferocity in her eyes, the determination to make something of herself and make a difference, even though she's still lost on what way.

And that girl, she chose me and I... I chose her. Why? We differ like night and day.

But every glance she spares me and every little touch she feeds me, closing the holes in my being bit by bit like stiches and making me whole again. And I just take it greedily, like a need has arisen in me that I've never known to have before.

Her words leave peace and contentment. Not once did she judge me for what and who I am. She did the exact opposite, embracing all of me. Though there is a lot I still have to tell her about me, already am I certain that none of it, not even the most gruesome details will make her turn her back on me.

Am I going to leave that behind for the Demon realm? Would she perhaps join me? Doubtfully. Her loyalty to her family would stop her. Even the suggestion of making her chose would have her explode in fury. So the decision lies with myself. What am I going to do?

"Hm?" I raise a brow at the open door.

Stepping closer, an odd sensation run trough my body; worry. It's only an open door, but something tells me the situation is anything but normal.

Looking inside, nothing seems out of place. I barely sense her lingering presence, but she mustn't be gone for long.

Taking a deep breath, a tangible smell reaches my senses and scouring every surface I search for its origin. Stepping back suddenly, I notice I was almost right on top of it.

A dark red liquid, only a drop of it, its surface still reflective lies on the wooden paneling at my feet. It's still wet. There is no doubt in my mind whose blood it is. I feel my own start to boil.

.........

Where is she? Why can't I see her? Whoever is hiding her is doing an awfully good job at it. I hate this feeling of helplessness, my abilities falling short.

I jump down from the building dropping down right in front of the woman whose wrath will top all of them should Yuko remain unfound.

"Hiei, coming to check up on us again are you? Tell that girl that she's too worried. We are holding our own." Aya smiles, swatting at the Makai bugs that have invested the Human realm so easily through the growing breach between this world and the Demon world carelessly. Normal humans remain blissfully unaware of their presence.

Her eyes then take in my tense posture and her eyes narrow suspiciously. "Hiei, where is my daughter?" she asks, getting straight to the point.

"I don't know." I spit out the words that I hate saying more than anything. Ignorance... a despicable thing.

Aya's eyes darken like hell just arrived to the surface of the Earth, her bag of groceries soon litter the curb. The very air seems to have grown colder.

"Turn the world upside down if you have to. I know I will." she growls.