34 No more secrets (Yuko)

I can hear mom suck in a deep breath making me look up from staring at the coffee table. My eyes were starting to burn. The thick silence is shattered by her voice, "I guess I should start."

"That would be nice." I bite back, knowing I'll finally receive the answers to all the secrets she held from me over all these years. "Sorry." I say more quietly as she flinches away from my tone.

"No, you're right to be upset." she excuses my anger. "And I'm not going to ask you not to be angry with me, just to listen and try to understand. That counts for both of you." she says, nodding towards Hiei who crosses his arms while leaning into the side of the couch next to me. He's been glaring at mom since stepping foot inside the house earlier.

"So... I am the only child of Genkai and the younger of the Toguro brothers, a product of a period in time where their relationship was still.... intimate. Well, considering either of my parent's histories I can't say I had much of stable home life. So me, growing more and more rebellious against anything my mother had to offer me, had wanted to go my own way very quickly." she starts to explain.

"I wanted to be as normal as possible and did what most normal humans do; start a career, fall in love and start a family. But I never could quite be as normal as I wanted to be. I knew things others didn't. I could still feel the presence of demons and... I saw those in the human world struggling. So one thing led to another and I became a guide to those who wanted to become a part of this world. Koenma helped them live close to us so I could easily help demons along under the guise of being a friendly neighbor."

Seeing the look on my face she frowns. "I never mentioned any of this to you and Reiji before now because I wanted you both to grow up with as little worries as possible. I'm not known by the wide public because of whose genes I carry and I don't want you both to be either, because you are smart enough to know the kind of repercussions of such information should it become common knowledge." she states seriously. I silently nod in acknowledgement.

"Sadly though, your Spirit energy has gotten the best of you after such intensive exposure to other people's energy and the only option now is to learn more about it and how to control it. I want you to learn Yuko and then decide carefully what you want to do with that knowledge. You're at a crossroad now, one where I once stood and whatever decision you decide to make, though as your mother I hope it will be one where I can forever keep my eye on you and keep you safe, more than anything I want to see my children be happy."

I stay silent for a while, taking this in. Strangely enough I do understand her reasoning. I just wish she had let me in on the family secrets sooner so I could have gotten used to the idea. If I never found out for myself, she probably never would have said anything, would she? And that is what hurts me most.

I release a breath I didn't realize I had been holding. "So, that's the whole story? No more secrets?" I ask her, just to be certain.

"No more secrets. If you ever have any more questions, I'll answer them honestly." she promises.

I nod to myself before glancing towards dad in the kitchen who started on lunch. "Is dad...?" I dare ask watching him break a sweat over opening the jar of jam.

"He's a hundred percent human." mom answers quickly.

"Oh come on you...!" dad hisses through gritted teeth before mom sighs and strolls over to him, taking the jar from him and twisting the lid of with a satisfactory pop, causing him to pout. There goes his masculinity out the window.

I smile amusedly at my parents before glancing at Hiei. He looks more relaxed as he has his eyes closed, his shoulders having lost their previous rigidness. Seeing his acceptance over the situation helps me be more accepting too. I suppose I have a choice between becoming bitter over the matter of making the best of it, and the second option sounds a lot more pleasant.

Standing up I sigh, "Guess I'll start packing again." I mutter to myself before dragging myself to my room.

Dumping my small suitcase open on the floor I turn to Hiei questioningly. "What are you going to do?"

He quirks a brow, "I told you before I would help you." he huffs as if his answer is obvious.

"Mh, yeah." I nod. "I just thought that, now that grandma is still alive and well since the tournament just ended, you'd want a break or something. Aren't you tired after all that?" I try carefully, making him look at me boredly.

"You obviously don't know me well enough. If you're trying to get rid of me, don't bother, because you're stuck with me until I say so." he states bluntly, making my cheeks grow warm. "Besides, since Genkai is your grandmother I wish to take advantage of that fact and learn more to strengthen myself." he adds, making me roll my eyes with a smile.

"Of course you would do that. And I'm not trying to get rid of you, just want you to look after yourself." I smile before turning my eyes to a figure behind him. "Reiji?" I question.

He rushes up to me wrapping his arms around me. "Don't worry sis, it will be okay. Once I get mom to have granny teach me everything, I'll be tougher than anyone and I'll protect you, mom and dad from any bad guys. You won't ever have to be scared again." he promises passionately.

I chuckle, patting his head. "I don't doubt you kid, but take it easy. Maturing so fast is not as fun as it sounds." I offer him the advice.

He steps back frowning. "But I'm already mature. My teacher said so. She said I sometimes argue like a grown-up." he counters.

I blink down at him, my mouth ajar. Clearly he doesn't quite know what maturity entails. "Well that's good... I think. Keep it up?" I try, not sure what to say to that.

He just smiles however and turns to Hiei. "Just you wait Hiei! Soon I'll be a real man and even give you a run for your money!" he states confidently.

"Hn. It's nice to have dreams." Hiei mutters, watching the soon to be ten-year-old run off.

I slap his arm playfully. "Be nice. He looks up to you." I tell him, making Hiei shrug.

"I don't do nice." he counters, making me raise a brow in defiance, but stay quiet. I've seen plenty of kindness coming from Hiei, but I suppose he's still in denial.

"Well then Mister Mean, you may take your bad attitude and leave the premises. I'm going to take a shower." I say just as he moves to occupy my bed.

He pauses, "How is that my problem?"

"I don't want my parents getting any ideas." I huff, a blush rushing to my cheeks.

I blow out my cheeks when he smirks. "I don't know what you're talking about." he says innocently, though he knows for sure that he's pushing my buttons, making me uncomfortable. It's seldom that Hiei acts like that and I like it as much as it frustrates me.

I throw a stuffed rabbit at him. "Just go." In the end he did go, it just took me five stuffed animals and a pillow.

I'm sooooooo sorry it took me so long. After many weeks I finally had my head on straight and was able to put something down. I hope you enjoy!