38 Brothers in arms (Hiei)

I glance back at the resting girl as I make my departure. That was a lot of memories to erase, but it did the trick. She can sleep easy now.

The door opens revealing Reiji. He glances between me and his sister with uncertainty. "Is she okay now?" he asks, looking scared for Yuko.

"As good as she will get at the moment." I inform him, jumping into a crouch on the window's ledge.

"Reiji, it's time for you to look after your sister. She needs you now." I tell the boy, who sucks in a breath.

"I will!" he nods determinately. "But what are you gonna do now Hiei?"

"End this." I state before jumping down. It's time to pay this Sensui a visit.

.........

Heading in the direction where I need to go, I'm not surprise to find the detective close by. Looks like he's having to deal with an obstacle on his way though.

He's stuck in this boy's territory, who seems able to make anything into deadly projectiles, missiles with only one objective; to kill Yusuke.

I follow him for a bit, biding my time as he's being toyed with. Only when he's about to get killed do I step in, having had enough. I may need him later on...

I jump in as the large truck that has been chasing Yusuke around explodes right behind him, knocking him out cold. Before the flames engulf him, I have him out of their reach.

Looking back to the boy who stands at his look-out, 'Sniper' he call himself, I decide it's time for a little 'chat'.

He looks surprised to see me. "Who are you?"

I drop Yusuke as I feel him start to stir. "Hiei?" he blinks up at me in confusion.

"It's still a little too soon for you to die." I tell him, not taking my eyes off Sniper. I can't help but be amused as he pulls a gun on me. What does he think that can accomplish?

"I will not allow anyone to interfere at our objective!" he shouts as I advance on him. "Get lost!" he adds once I've gotten too close for his comfort. He may have his ability, he may have his objective, but let's see how he does against a demon, the very creature he and his companions intent to bring over to this world.

His finger pulls the trigger, but I have already moved. He keeps firing until my sword through his gut cuts him short.

"Hiei!" Yusuke calls, knowing the consequences of me killing a human, and as do I. There is only one human I will make the exception of killing another human for...

"I avoided anything critical." I explain to the detective, but am surprised when the boy wraps his arm around my neck, using me to stabilize himself so as to aim for Yusuke.

"No one must interfere with Sensui..."

Stupid boy. I pull my sword from his body and with one smooth stroke, sever his arm. He drops to the dirt, not dead, but nearly. If he's as though as he makes himself out to be, he'll live.

Turning my eyes to the distance I see the turmoil surrounding the city. There is not much time left to safe this world. Though I must admit... the smell of the Demon world is very enticing.

"The wind blows wistfully. It's pleasant and calming. It's the wind of the Demon realm, mingled with rotting flesh and blood." I muse, feeling a sense of nostalgia. "Look. The cover of hell is about to open."

I look back at the detective as he punches the ground in frustration. His face is distorted by the feeling overwhelming him. "This makes me sick. It's so hard to deal with these guys! They won't attack me head on. I didn't think these guys were going to be such trouble. Damn it! Kuwabara!"

I figured the oaf would get himself into trouble.

Yusuke drags himself up off the ground. "There is no time for griping. I've got to hurry..."

"Hurry? What are you hurrying to?" Nothing but your death if you can't keep your head on straight, I think to myself.

Yusuke rounds on me. "It's obvious isn't it?! I'm getting Kuwabara back! And then, I'm going to lay them out!" he shouts impatiently. My my... That boy, will he never learn? Looks like he needs to get his ass kicked one more time....

..........

After beating each other senseless for a minute or two, Yusuke finally gets a grip on himself.

I admit that was quite enjoyable. I haven't had the chance to go head to head since our first fight, though I don't appreciate him laughing at me when I tell him to fight with a cool head. Idiot.

"So... I heard they had taken Yuko, but since you're here, I'm assuming you found her." Yusuke starts on a more serious note as we make our way to our destination.

"I did."

"Is she okay?" he asks, a hint of worry in his voice.

I glance at him. "She will be." I state, before facing ahead. "He made her watch the tape." I reveal, making him pause.

He looks at me with wide eyes. "Chapter Black?! You're kidding!" His eyes narrow in worry next. "How did she react?"

I slowly blink, remembering her words. "Suicidal."

"That bastard." Yusuke hisses, clenching his fists.

We walk in silence for a while before the detective feels the need to open his big trap; "Hey Hiei? What do demons do when they're in love? Do they get married?"

"We don't do marriage, we mate. Why do you even ask such a silly question?" I huff. The things he comes up with at times like these...

"Huh, that's sounds awfully definitive." he hums.

"It is. Any more stupid questions you want to ask?" I counter, not feeling like talking about the birds and the bees with Yusuke.

"Just one..." he starts, making me sigh. "Did you and Yuko, you know, 'mate'?" he questions, grinning lecherously.

I waste no time socking him in the jaw. "Don't ask me about things that don't concern you!" The boy has a talent of pushing my buttons.

He just smiles, rubbing his jaw. "Yeah yeah." he waves off. "But seriously Hiei, she's good for you. You want to get stronger don't you? There's nothing better to pump up a guy's strength then to have someone to fight for you know? I would know." he explains, rubbing his nose awkwardly.

I glance at him, considering this. "Hn."

There is no time to dwell on it for long as a group of familiar faces greet us in the distance. Looks like we're not the only ones ready to crash Sensui's party.

I'm sorry to say that the end of this fanfic is drawing near. The next one will be the official ending. But as consolidation, I will write a bit more as prologue.

So hang tight because it's coming soon.