33 Goodbye Hanging-neck (Hiei/ Yuko)

~Hiei

I sigh as the first light of the day starts seeping into the room. For the first time, no, since the second time in being here I opted to sleep in a bed, which was not all unpleasant despite it being out of my comfort zone.

Opening my eyes, I glance down at the figure curled into my side. The girl was tossing around for hours before she finally settled down.

I knew yesterday after one glance at her face that she was not doing well, so after everyone turned in for the night I had come in through the window like usual to find her staring blankly at the ceiling.

Nothing was said as I lay down beside her and she only moved her head a little until it grazed my shoulder before closing her eyes. The sooner we're off this wretched island the better I thought.

And soon we will be off. Glancing at the time, I realize we'll be leaving in about an hour. I really should get up before one of the other girls burst in here and get any funny ideas.

Before I can move however, Yuko starts to stir. She blinks a few times, trying to get the sleep out of her mind before noticing me.

I raise a brow in question, silently asking how she is feeling. Her answer doesn't beat around the bush; "I feel like crap, I'm confused and on the brink of insanity." she states bluntly before sitting up, resting her arms on her knees, shoulders sagging.

"Thanks for staying." she mumbles, making me grunt in recognition.

Rising to my feet I make for the window. I notice her footsteps following close behind and turn back to face her before departing, waiting to hear what she has to say.

"Hiei..." she starts, looking more than a little lost.

"Talk to your mother after we get back." I tell her. If anything that is the first course of action.

She breathes deeply before nodding, surprisingly letting a small smile slip after. "You know, with my world slowly descending into chaos, I almost forget to tell you..."

"Forget to tell me what?" I ask curiously as she pauses.

"How happy I am that you're still alive." she breathes, leaning in close. In an automatic reaction, my hand lashes out as I grip her upper arm, stopping her in her tracks. But then I realize her intentions and before she can blink at me in confusion for any longer, pull her in all the way.

For a short moment, there is nothing else that matters but for this touch that somehow makes my blood rush faster through my veins.

Never would I have thought that I would let a human get this close to me, but here Yuko is, having a firm hold on my cold heart and clutching it even tighter as time passes.

.............

~Yuko

Saying a little prayer, I set grandmother's hat down in a little nook we thought was suitable. It's as good as it's going to get for now.

Turning to the girls as I get to my feet I ask quietly, "Shall we head off?"

They nod in unison and Botan links her arm with mine before we set off to find the boys. Soon we will sail off, back towards home and whatever else awaits us there.

After some final shopping done by Botan, Yukina and Shizuru, we find the boys waiting for us in the lobby, from there on we head on out.

"We finally get to say goodbye to this island." Yusuke muses Yusuke pauses as we close in on our ride back.

"It has been a while hasn't it?" Kuwabara notes, also feeling the sense of closure I assume.

"Back to school." Yusuke sighs having a look on his face between dread and relief.

"It's not that bad." Kuwabara starts. "Heck, we could have it a lot worse; Look at Yuko-chan, her world was thrown upside down. She found out she has spiritual powers, inherited from an old hag she didn't know was into a fight and an insane guy who tried to kill us all." Kuwabara nods to himself, making everyone's eyes widen as I stare at him blankly.

A sudden kick to Kuwabara's head has him ranting at Hiei who glares back at him. "Your lack of tact is mind-blowing." he huffs. I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. This is my life now.

Even though they haven't treated me differently, they all know something has changed. Just how much, I have yet to find out.

"S-sorry Yuko-chan!" Kuwabara quickly apologizes.

I wave my hand, not wanting to say more about it right now. And luckily the ship's horn takes everyone's attention away from me.

"Alright, let's go!" Yusuke announces, making us all hum or nod in agreement. "We return in triumph!" Yusuke cheers, alongside Botan and Kuwabara.

"Hey hey! How coldhearted you guys are!" a rather familiar scratchy voice calls out, making me jump in surprise. Turning around, I look to see if my ears are deceiving me. But as everyone else is looking in the same direction, I must not be hearing things.

And sure enough, a person of small stature appears on the horizon, stopping on the hill ahead. "Are you planning on leaving an old woman behind?" she questions, as I drop my bag in shock.

Botan is the first to rush forward, soon followed by others. "Come on Yuko-chan!" Yukina urges, grabbing onto my hand to pull me along. Only then I get my feet going.

"Grandma?!" I call, wondering if it's really her. The smile she gives me then, the one only reserved for her grandchildren makes me lose all doubt. I rush forward the final distance, sinking to my knees to put my arms around her. At least one thing is set right again.

..............

"Well, here we are." I sigh as our apartment complex comes into sight. It's just me and Hiei as grandma thought it was best to return to her own home and wait for me to come there to talk and train, if mom lets me that is. I shake my head. She will; I'm going to put my foot down on this.

I pause on the opposite side of the street, almost afraid to go in. I have no idea how mom will react after all this.

"It's a little too late to start doubting now." Hiei says, looking as emotionally bland as a goldfish right now.

"I know! I just hold a healthy dose of fear for my mother." I defend myself with a pout as I stare up at the building before turning to him. "You want to hold my hand?" I ask hopefully.

He raises a brow at that. "What do you think?" he huffs, making me sigh dramatically before setting off towards the front door.

"Alright, let's get this over with." I state as I roll up my sleeves before pressing on the buzzer. I have no freaking idea where I lost my key on the way, but I did.

"Who is it?" a bored voice asks that I recognize as Reiji's.

"Hey squirt. Want to let us in?" I ask before hearing a scream of excitement before all goes silent. Hiei and I blink at each other in question, wondering what's going on. The kid didn't even open the door.

Through the window I can see two figures almost tripping over each other down the stairs in their hurry and next I know the door swings open and me and Hiei are pressed against my mom's bosom and Reiji is hanging onto my waist for dear life. I can see Hiei growing red with embarrassment.

I mouth for help toward my dad who leisurely strides down the stairs with a big smile on his face. But mom already pulls back, a deep scowl on her face. "You two are in so much trouble for sneaking off to a tournament behind my back!" she growls, making me shrink back before glancing at Reiji who looks awfully calm. Does he know?

"But first..." mom starts, taking a deep breath and smoothing out the growing wrinkles in her face, "let's eat and just enjoy a quiet evening without any fuss. I want to have a normal night with my daughter, who I'm glad is still alive, next to me. And tomorrow, we will talk." she offers.

"I'm okay with that." I nod, grateful for a moment of normalcy. Everything can be put on hold for one night. Tomorrow the roller coaster can start up again on its bumpy ride.