3 Who's the weird one? (Yuko)

I swerve around the people on my favorite mode of transportation, my longboard. School is already in sight when suddenly I bash right into someone coming from the traffic lights on my right.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologize rushing over to help the person to their feet, only to come to face with Mamoru. He's a rather shy boy my age, but in a different class from mine. He's rather tall and has short wavy black hair. His brown eyes are framed by a pair of thin-rimmed glasses.

"O-oh! Yuko! No, that's fine. I wasn't watching where I was going. Did you get hurt?" he asks worriedly, making me smile at his concern.

"Me? No, I'm fine. Are you? That was a nasty fall." I comment.

He nods hurriedly. "I didn't get hurt or anything." he assures me though my eyes fall on a scrape on his palm.

"You're bleeding! Here...' I exclaim as I hurriedly pull out a handkerchief that still smells like fabric softener. I quickly wrap it around his hand, causing him to blush. "There you go." I state, happy with my work.

"Yuko!" a voice calls, making me look over. It's one of my friends, Emi. "Come on, or we'll be late!" she calls.

I wave at her to show I heard her. Turning to Mamoru I smile a final time. "I've got to go. Take care!" I tell him before stepping on to my board and making my way over to Emi who greets me. All the while I feel a pair of eyes on my back.

..........

"Coming through!" I shout, nearly running Hiei over as I dash down the stairs.

I can faintly hear him growl after knocking my shoulder into him, followed by a shout, "Girl!" I can hear his footsteps follow after me making me flinch, but I can't stop now.

I skid out the door and run to a nearby bush, crouching down in front of it just as a spiky haired shadow hovers over me. I tip over the bowl covering my mom's magazine and quick as lightning something grey and fuzzy darts into the bush with a squeak.

Hiei scoffs behind me. "Was that it?" he spits, not believing all that fuss over a mouse no doubt. "Why didn't you just kill it?"

I look up at him, blinking in surprise for two reasons: One; he never spoke that much to me before and two; kill it?

"Eh? Why would I do that?" I ask him, looking at him like he's crazy.

He narrows his eyes at me like I just asked him something idiotic. "It's a pest. A weak inferior creature." he says coldly. In the way he looks at me as he says it, it almost feels like he isn't referring to the mouse. It rubs me the wrong way.

I quickly stand up, facing him. "The strong should have no interest in killing the weak. It would only make you look like a weakling yourself." I tell him passionately, not sure why I feel like retaliating against this scary boy.

Hiei's eyes widen slightly in surprise and he remains silent. It almost looks like he is seriously considering what I said.

"What are you doing?" a voice interrupts, making us look to Reiji who just appeared, his school backpack hanging from his fist as he gazes up at us curiously.

"I was just releasing a mouse I found in the living room." I tell him with a shrug.

Reiji's eyes widen. "How did we get a mouse?" he asks, quickly crouching by the bush where I released it just a minute ago.

"Because you secretly eat crisps in your room of course." I state with a smug smile as he looks up at me horrified.

"How did you know?" he gasps.

The look on his face makes me grin. "I'm your sister, I know everything. Whenever you put on two different socks, I'll know. Whenever you sneak a snack behinds mom's back, I'll know. Whenever you forget to wash your hands after going to the bathroom, I'll know. Whenever you sneak a love letter to that Aisuki girl in your class, I'll know. I. See. All." I tell him with a flourish of my hands.

By now Reiji's as red as a tomato from embarrassment and he glances at Hiei uncomfortably who is staring at us like animals at the zoo. I actually forgot he's there for a moment. He's so quiet.

"Oi!" mom's voice calls out, making us look up to the window of our apartment. "When you three are finished, you can go wash your hands and join me at the dinner table. Yes! You too Hiei!" she points at a bewildered looking Hiei.

"Two minutes! Or I'm eating all the chicken!" she calls before closing the window.

Me and Reiji glance at each other before rushing towards the front door. "I'm not eating plain rice!" I shout, pushing Reiji aside to get to the door first.

Reiji in turns hangs from my shirt as I try to trudge up the stairs, him slowing me down.

Meanwhile Hiei casually strides past us, hands in his pockets. "Fools." he mutters under in his breath.

I huff, both from indignation and from Reiji's weight. "You know, you're really rude!" I call after him, but he doesn't even bother to reply.

"Yuko! Don't tell mom all that stuff you know!" Reiji begs from behinds me, suddenly having different priorities as we draw closer to his possible doom.

I smirk at him over my shoulder before wringing myself loose. "We'll discuss the terms of your surrender after dinner!" I call to him before hoping up the last few steps two at a time, hearing him release a wail behind me.