CHAP.27: Street Rat

That night I think I fully appreciated what a nice bed felt like. Right now, in Arkham, they were probably shoving pills down the patients throats. I didn't realize what it was like to smell fresh air. To see anything else but the dull, plain, white brick walls. I was free. I felt like I could do anything. 

  I didn't sleep that night though. How could I with all this happening? I decided, after being in Arkham for so long, I would roam around Gotham. Feel that fresh air that I so desperately needed in my life again. My cult citizens wanted to come with me and follow me so I wouldn't run into trouble. I denied their offer. I could fully handle myself. I have time and time again. 

  So, I walked out the warehouse door and took a a little stroll. I made sure to bring a gun and two knives in my coat pockets. I knew what it was like at night around here so I came prepared. Besides, I was the one to fear here. Not others. I wasn't afraid of anything anymore. 

  As I walked with my hands deep in my pockets, I thought. I thought of everything. The past, the present, and future. So much ran through my head but one dominated over all. Jerome Valeska. The love of my life. I replayed the scene of his death over and over again. I couldn't help it.

  I remember when we first kissed. I had been rambling on and on and on and he simply stopped me by planting his lips on mine. He stated I talked too much. I stated he was too cocky. I had so much fun with him. I remember another time when we had pranked an inmate to think he was hearing voices. He freaked out so bad they had to send him away. I smile a bit. That had been fun too. 

  Now he was gone and I couldn't help blaming myself. If I had only warned him. If I had told him about what I thought about Theo. God, Theo. I wanted to kill him. Although, he already had been...twice from what my people told me. That sucks. I had dreamed of slicing his throat. But I can't have everything. If I did I would be a lot happier wouldn't I?

  I kicked a stray can in front of me and sighed. It was a cold night, the breath from my mouth visible in front of me. I shivered a bit. I was glad I brought a coat with me. If not I would be a walking popsicle. I try to make a joke but fail. Wow I couldn't even make myself laugh genuinely anymore. 

  I had my head high, only passing by a person every now and then. They didn't seem to recognize me. Well, it had only been a few hours since that cult broke me out. The news probably wouldn't show my escape until the morning. I could imagine the looks on everyone's faces. Yet another break out. How sad for Arkham. Okay, that made me giggle a bit.

  While walking I had to cut through an ally way. When doing so I heard a small clink from above me. I froze and stared at the alleyway before slowly looking up. I saw a metal staircase that led to the building above me. I look around and reach into my coat pocket, wrapping my hand around my gun. I growl and smile, my jaw clenching. 

  "I know your there." I sing. "It's better to reveal yourself now." A moment of silence. I then here a thud behind me and I smile, pulling my gun out of my pocket and pointing it to the person behind me. I stopped as I saw who it was. 

  It was a girl with bushy curly hair, raggedy clothes on, a pair of goggles on her head, and an "I don't care" face permanently plastered on her features. I peered at her. I lowered my gun a bit, squinting my eyes. I point a finger at her. 

  "Don't I know you?" I ask. She rose a brow. 

  "That depends." She says. I then feel my memory snap into place. The gala. She was the girl staring at Bruce. I feel my face brighten and I snap my fingers, laughing. 

  "That's right! You were at the little gala a year back!" I chuckle. She nods. 

  "Yeah. So?" She says. I nod at her. 

  "Sass. I like that in a person. That will take ya a long way." I say. She shrugs. I make a face and jerk the gun. "Not scared when someone has a gun on ya huh?" She shakes her head. 

  "Hmm, interesting." I say. I then shift, straightening my back. "So...why are you following me. Isn't a kid like you supposed to have a family to go to?" That is when her face flickers for the first time since I saw her. I lift my head. 

  "Ahh. Street rat... I'm an orphan too you know." I say, raising a hand to my chest.

 "I'm not an orphan." She says a bit quickly. I arch my brow. I raise up my hand in defense. 

  "Fine. So, why are you following me? You obviously know who I am. I'm a dangerous escaped prisoner from an asylum who has killed many people. So, why? Ya just thirsty for danger?" I ask. She stays still for a moment before speaking. 

  "I don't know." She answers finally. I nod and make a face.

  "I don't know..." I repeat. I smile. "Wonderful. Give me a better excuse or I shoot you in the leg." She gives me a look of annoyance. I shake my head. 

  "Don't give me that look young lady." I say, making my voice higher. I narrow my eyes. 

  "You remind me of someone." She answers. I stop and grin.

  "Now that's an excuse. Who? A friend? A deceased relative?" I ask. She shakes her head. 

  "Just someone." She answers. I sigh. Guess that was all I was gonna get from her. My arm was getting tired so I lowered it. I breathe out, my air curling in front of me. 

  "I like ya kid. You got a certain...way about you that I appreciate. I'm gonna let you live." I say and put my gun in my pocket. I dip towards her a bit.

  "What's your name kid?" I ask. She's hesitant at first. I raise out my arms with a smile to show I was trying to be reasonable. She evens out her back. 

  "Selina." She tells me. I ponder the name and tap my chin. 

  "Haven't heard that one before." I remark. I then sigh. "Well...this has been fun. I am going to keep walking now and I suggest you do the same. The cops always love to snatch little kids like you up." I go to turn around but her voice stops me. 

  "You not going to get away with it." She says. I chuckle in the back of my throat and turn back to her. 

  "Is that right?" I growl. She nods her head.

  "The police will catch you." I give a small chuckle then walk up to her and lean down right into her face. I study her. 

  "I get that your a kid and everything, Selina. But sometimes the good guys don't win. Sometimes...the villains do." I tell her. I smile widely at her. She doesn't respond. I then turn around and give a little wave behind me. 

  "See ya later street rat."