CHAP.65: Test Subject

Once back at the mansion, we parked the van in the back and all got out as usual. We walked to the mansion as usual. And we went to our separate rooms. As usual. But what was not so usual, was the fact that Jerome...was quiet. That was the very worst thing that I could imagine Jerome doing. 

  After the failure to get Jerome's brother, Jerome had been silent. He had only laughed a few times and only to himself, me not even understanding as to why he was chuckling. Baggy and Hatty stayed out of his way for a bit while I just kept glancing at him the whole car ride. I had decided to drive while he sat in the passengers side, playing with a knife. It was so uncharacteristic of him for him to be quiet that I thought maybe Jerome was going through a temporary mind lapse. 

  We didn't speak throughout the car ride and even when we parked and walked inside. Firefly and Freeze had been in the living room but no sign of Limpy. They had made questioning faces at Jerome and I guess one of the other two had explained the situation. But I didn't really care about them. I wanted to know how I could help Jerome with his current current dilemma. 

  Jerome headed to our room as soon as we got inside the mansion, muttering something about plans and his brother. I knew a bumpy ride was coming along and I was debating to let him handle it himself or let me in to help him in as well. After awhile, I decided the latter. I always managed to bring him back down whenever he was angry and he had done the same to me. It just never really involved family before. At least with him. 

  So when he went upstairs, rather than join everyone in the living room, I went to our room. As I went up the stairs I could hear him rambling loudly about something and heard a couple of bangs of what sounded like things being thrown around. It was especially strange for me because even through my years with Jerome, I had yet to see him really loose his cool. He was normally a guy who loved to joke around and play on the surface, but only on occasion had his anger really come out. And that was just briefly. I didn't know if maybe he had finally let his anger out or he was just letting off a little steam. Well, I was going to find out in a second. 

  As I walked down the hall towards our room, I heard Jerome's voice getting louder and more prominent. I even flinched slightly at a louder bang than the rest. I sighed and came up the door, putting my ear against it to try and understand him. He was just rambling. I couldn't understand him very much. I hears a couple of laughs but they were strained and sounded forced. Forced laughs were never a good sign. 

  Finally, I opened the door slowly and gave a small knock. When walking in, I could see half ripped open pillows scattered around the floor and many feathers fluttering around in the air. I saw a couple of paintings on the walls had fallen and some candles on a desk where now on the other side of the room. I grimaced as I saw Jerome standing in the middle of the room with his back to me. He didn't turn around when I knocked so I took a step into the room. 

  "Um, Jerome?" I call to him, closing the door and raising a brow to Jerome standing there. He suddenly turned to me, his green eyes wide and brows furrowed. He had a frown on his face and a thoughtful look in his features. He pointed to me, not looking me in the eye before playing with a knife in his hands, throwing it back and forth between his hands. 

  "They just have to ruin everything don't they? Jimbo and that friend of his." Jerome rambled, obviously not really paying attention. I raise my brow. He continues.

  "Every time. Every time. They always...butt in. I could have gotten him. All the planning and planning. Didn't work out." Jerome explained in high and low voices, as if weaving in and out of a tunnel. He didn't really seem to realize I was here. I was now concerned for Jerome's well being when he stared into nothing for a moment before shrugging and then pacing. I take another step forward.