Chapter 9

I was so enamored by the black indent, growing and shrinking on my wrist, that the ten minutes before "Procedure Theta" was over before I even realized. In a second, the straps were wrapped around me again and the table rose into the Arctiviose. The screen lit up with the same light hue and forest green ring in the center. The voice started up again.

"Castelle Addison Berkeley. Condition: optimal, mental state: slightly depleted, possible cause: depression. Now commencing Procedure Theta." The screen shuts off and the machine is plunged into darkness. The only thing separating this from being buried alive is a slight high-pitched drilling sound. The noise gradually builds next to the left side of my head like an annoying mosquito flying around my ear. My body tenses, shocked, when a sudden piercing sensation is stabbed against my head. I feel a rush of liquid enter behind my eyes and the sound stops. When the needle is removed, my vision blurs and the room turns black.

I love this feeling. This feeling of absolute lifelessness, like I'm floating on a cloud of nothing. I thought I would've been knocked unconscious, but I have access to all of my senses. That state before you fall asleep where you're still aware of your surroundings, but don't have the urge to move. I feel at peace, calm, relaxed.

I'm bored.

They could've given me a hallucinogen or something, drug me up. See how I react to some needles in the bloodstream, missed opportunities if you ask me. I'm basically a free test subject. Instead, I'm in a suspended state, I can't move but I can feel everything that's-

A sharp stabbing sensation runs up my right arm burning through every nerve, every muscle, tearing through my peaceful mindset. The atmosphere clouds, black mist pouring out of my appendage; It's the same sensation from when the black mark first appeared on my arm, with a similar scene as when I encountered Monica.

Lightning-esque sparks hover around the mist growing in size as it moves away from my body. The mist around me ignites, sparking a flame, black in shade and void of heat. The juxtaposition between the sparks and the fire looked like someone striking a match during a blackout. My screams overpowered the whirring coming from the machines, leaving only my voice to echo past the robotic calculations. The stabbing sensation traveled up my arm, across my chest, and radiated around my shoulder, leaving a numb feeling in my left breast.

The fire burned through my hospital gown leaving only a layer of ash to protect me. After about 5 minutes, screams no longer escaped my mouth, only a distressed wheeze, and a high pitched siren. I close my mouth and grit my teeth; I'll just bear it. 10 more minutes of agony and the pain ceases. I can't tell if I'm sweating from the flames or the irritation on the right side of my body.

The black mist dissipates and the light in the Arctiviose turns back on. The green ring spins in a circle and then turns red before uttering one statement before an alarm sounds and the restraints tightened.

"Telum species: Elementaler."