Chapter 30

"From now on, you listen to what I say and only what I say. Failure to do so will result in your aforementioned termination." Mcallister walks toward us, taking in the sad sights in front of him, sighing with disappointment after every look over.

"Blake I presume?"

"Yes sir," he responds, unsteadiness in his voice. Mcallister moves so their faces are only mere inches apart. Blake's Adam's apple shifts with a heavy swallow, anticipating some sort of attack from the intimidating figure before him.

"You look like your brother, you're built like him too, but I can tell you're different. You're spineless. You hold promise which is why you're here, but your actions aren't sure enough. They lack all forms of grace, and you don't possess a shred of actual skill aside from brute strength. That might get you somewhere, but not far enough to constitute my good opinion." Donovan starts to back away when he says something more directed towards me than Blake, "He could've been something great."

Mcallister makes his way towards Aria. She burrows herself farther into my side, trembling at the overpowering presence of this strange man observing her.

"Aria," he states, clearly disgruntled at the sight of a child. He grabs her free hand and pulls her away from me, a yelp leaving her mouth as she's released into the vulnerability of her situation.

"You're a coward," he says very matter-of-factly, kneeling down so his eyes are in line with hers. "Not a single brave bone in your body, the complete opposite of your sister." Her eyes widen at the mention of Scarlett, a sudden fire being lit behind them. That's the one detail we kept away from her, and now I too am mad for her sake.

"That's better," Donovan laughs a cold laugh, "There's not much I can teach you but you are more of a necessity than Blake over there. Keep that spark and we won't have a problem." He pushes her back to fall in line with the rest of us before dusting himself off, and making a final stop in front of me.

"Castelle," he forces out my name, "You're skilled, even on my level, I must admit. You're proficient in almost every form of martial arts, and now you can serve us as you've been raised to. You're the perfect warrior, but your actions are driven by spite. You have an insatiable vendetta that can't be quenched, it's just been ignored for so long you mistake it for apathy."

"And what's wrong with letting hatred affect my judgment?" I interrupt, "If it truly is the only emotion I can feel then you wouldn't have to worry about hindrances of empathy or remorse."

"It's not your hatred that makes you less valuable, It's your temper. As long as it burns it will be the undoing of us all, yourself more than anyone."

"A temper that understands when something must be done. If your cause is valid, you should be rejoicing that my temper is on your side, that is if I really am as skilled as you say."

"Your pride will be the death of you," he snaps, stepping even closer to me. My words clearly starting to get on his nerves. He's searching for a decent enough response to do the same for me. "Watch your mouth before that attitude is the reason it never speaks again."

"You and I both know you're not capable of such cruelty Donovan. So before you continue to judge me, why not I take a minute to make sure your new recruits have a better idea of your character." Mcallister opens his mouth to object, but I start speaking before he gets a chance, my unblinking glare still staring back at him.

"You're filled with false confidence, parading around with some sort of superior air when in actuality you're weak. You criticize others to assert dominance, your mouth is the only thing you ever feel the need to exercise, and the death of you will be your arrogance. I'm not on your level as you say, but you wish you were on mine."