Chapter 32

"We need to go, we need to go now." I'm hysterical, pleading with Kai in a hushed whisper. My voice cracks, my breath catches in my throat and I must seem positively maniacal, but Kai still tries in vain to calm me down.

He holds me at arm's length, his mesmerizing blue eyes trying to entice me into a state of compliance. "Cas, he's still probably on this street, just relax and we'll leave in a minute," he sounds composed, trying to hold it together for my sake despite not knowing my reason for not wanting to be here.

"You, you don't understand. He's alive, he's looking for me, he- I'm working for him? He's a Karma!" I stammer my way through nonsensical thoughts and even more arduous thinking. "It's not possible, it just isn't. How - how can he-?"

"You're not making any sense Cas," he cuts off my rambling, "you know who he is?"

"He's my father!" I exclaimed a bit too loudly, but I don't care. He made me believe he died with the bomb. He made me hope that I was free. When in reality he was using me. "Paxton Berkeley, he's alive! He was talking to Devon about me, so did Devon know all this time? Why didn't he ever tell me? Why now?"

Kai's looking at me with my personal anguish taloned over his expression. Excluding Devon, he knows more than anyone the extent of despise I have towards my father.

"I bet he's the one who got me contracted to the Karmas in the first place, I bet he's the reason my life is more ruined than it ought to be. He's been using me, Kai, and something tells me he's not done yet." I'm on the verge of tears, an excess of emotion overflowing from my vulnerability. My head hurts from the wave of tears I've been suppressing for the last five years.

Kai draws me in, cradling my head patiently as I sputter more unintelligible nonsense at the hands of my current caprice. He shushes me and tries his best to reassure me, but I can only hear my lungs gasping for air as my tears absorb into his blazer. I find my arms holding on to him a bit longer than needed for fear of him seeing me in such a weakened state. I'm not weak, but my father makes me weak.

"Did Devon give me up?" After my liquid dries to rage, that was the only thing I could think about. The person I've trusted more than anyone else for my entire life just betrayed me. You'd think I was used to it at this point, but it always fills me with some level of remorse.

Kai whispers my name, clearly at a loss for words. He doesn't know what to say, but then again neither would I in his position. For now, I just want to basque in the silence, slipping away farther and farther into the shadows around us.

It's a few minutes before the serenity is broken. "Cas," Kai whispers, his voice sweet and hesitant as to not agitate me further, "We should start heading back. You have a long day tomorrow."

"Fighting for him?"

"Fighting for me." His blue eyes stare into mine, and I can't help but stare back. "I'm not going to let Paxton get you, not after everything. I couldn't stand up for you when we were younger, but I can now. I promise."

* * *

Almost an hour after Kai dropped me back at my room, a knock on the door forces me out of my slummed state.

"And he just traded you away? Like it was part of some deal?" Kent's been reviewing the past events almost as attentively as I have. I explained everything to him, my deal with Kai, my past as Karma, and now my recent discovery about my father is all in his confidence."The nerve of that guy!"

"I know right!" Somehow with Kent around, I always feel like I have a little more energy than I normally do.

"How dare he ruin your date with Kai like that?"

I roll my eyes at him. "It wasn't a date, but my day was ruined." His subtle touch of humor is almost enough to get a laugh out of me.

"Gosh, Cas, I'm so sorry. I really am. I know how you feel about your dad."

I nod and a solemn silence falls over us. "You know what's the worst part? My father's ideals line up with mine exactly. He's a Karma, a sector leader voluntarily trying to overthrow Trinity for all the same reasons I despise it." I look away at him, shame in my words. "I guess I am my father's daughter."

Kent places his hands on my shoulder and forces me to look at him. "He's done plenty more shit than you. Besides, don't you dare try to take over Trinity. Hate it all you want but you belong here now. We need you. We get more funding for each room occupied."

A pillow reaches his face, and both of us can't help but laugh. "How's Silas? I didn't get a chance to see him today. And Aria, did she eat enough when she got back?"

"Si's fine. We had patrols today, nothing too serious. And Aria ate plenty. I gave her a stick of butter and a cup of sugar."

I slap him lightly on the arm, trying in vain not to laugh."Kent!"

"Kidding, kidding. Jeez, you worry too much." I give him a pitiful glare, not wanting to bother in an argument I'd most likely lose. "Let me guess, you hate people but have a soft spot for kids?

I snicker at the thought, "I hate kids most of all. They're annoying and sticky. Aria just... Aria reminds me of someone."

Kent looks at me with a quizzical brow, urging me to continue my story. "My little sister, Shelle. I'm sure I've mentioned her before. I always felt the need to protect her, so I guess it's just natural I'd want to protect Aria too."

"I know what you mean," Kent says, an uncommon serious expression replacing his playful grin. I can't help but listen. "I mean, you remind me of someone too." He pauses for a second, looking ahead all dazed. "This feral cat I saw the other day."

I roll my eyes, "It's like you want to die."