Chapter 28

It really does look beautiful. An overwhelming false sense of security paired with the serenity of golden incandescence and the twilight of the darkness overhead. Not a single chirp from a cricket, nor a rowdy yell from late night passersby, only the silence of the cool air ringing in your ears cutting into your thoughts. It isn't rare to find people out late, especially in a Karma run area, it's just so overcome with fear that nobody without a tattoo has the courage to disturb the still night.

We're walking side by side, heads pointed at the ground to avoid any suspicion. His scarf is pulled up to cover the bottom half of his face, and mine is protected by a curtain of black hair so that all I can see is the path in front of me.

"It should be right up ahead," I whisper to him.

It doesn't strike me until now just how calm the atmosphere around us is. There's a lack of pillagers laughing and running through the streets, instead, they're replaced by undisturbed lights and the stillness of crisp fall air. Kai senses my confusion and is about to question my hesitation to continue when a group of fifty or so people disperses from the back door of an old rundown fruit stand.

Crap.

I pulled him into the very edge of the street, away from the lights of the street lamps so that we're hidden by shadows. We blend in with the background enough to avoid the attention of any lurking eyes. Fighting three thugs is one thing, but I'd rather not agitate a parade of armed assassins.

"We have to head around," I whisper, ticking my head towards the left. "I know of one other entrance that is sure to be vacant." I think of the doorway connecting to the torture chamber that belonged to my first kill. Behind an out of place plank leaning against the wall hides enough memories to scar a grown man. It's been years since I've been in there and the scent of dust and blood still sting my eyes, a little too fresh for comfort.

The bloodstained floors flood back the thoughts of maniacal laughter and the twisted face of a psychopathic young man, followed by the fear of an understandably hysterical prisoner. The sound of a name just on the tip of my tongue and the image of a person I barely remember continues to taunt me.

Even the knife is in the same place I left it, crusted with dried blood placed carefully on the ripped strap of the chair.

"What is this place?" Kai asks, looking around at my nightmares. His hand presses his scarf to his nose to block out the fleeting stench of death.

"It belongs," I catch myself, "Belonged to an old friend." I take the dagger and wipe the blade on my pants, chipping off small chunks of blackened soot. It's been a minute since I've held a knife in my hands, but the handle fits almost too perfectly.

"Don't worry, no one else knows about this place," I say, extending the dagger towards Kai. He takes the knife and slides it into the pocket inside his overcoat. I don't entirely trust his skill with a blade, but I still have mine hidden in my boot, and he seems like a decent enough weapons valet.

"Why do you? Know about this place, I mean." he asks. I don't have the stomach to answer his question, at least not while choking on the thick miasma hanging over the room. As if sensing my discomfort, he dismisses the thought, "Let's just go in and out quickly."

I've never wanted anything more. We ease our way down the corridor, hugging the same walls I hid behind a lifetime ago.

"Up ahead is the recreation room," I explain, "Karma's go there to mingle and brag about whatever it is they stole that day." An uncanny resemblance to Devon and my favorite pastime. "Through it leads to the door everyone just exited from, which means there was just a sector meeting. It can't be anything serious since it's in a Tetra province, but there's a chance we can still hear the leaders rambling on about something afterward. They always leave the good stuff until everyone's left."