Chapter 25

Training that day passed by quickly. Nothing notable, just some more combat practice and pointless remedial classes. James' type five training wasn't much help either. I spent half the time turning glass bottles into various different substances, and the other half trying to make fireballs to no avail. I've neglected this part of me for seventeen years and now all of a sudden I'm supposed to have miraculously mastered it overnight.

It was relatively uneventful compared to the last few days. I guess I'm desensitized to the strange life I've grown accustomed to recently. What I didn't expect to see is Kai waiting for me at my room.

"How are you everywhere?" I ask, slightly annoyed at the unannounced visits he's been making lately.

"You're back early." He's sitting on the loveseat reading the latest newspaper I've been given. He doesn't even bother to turn around to greet me as I walk in. He's wearing his usual suit, but no tie today, this must be his casual look.

"I thought you'd have more important things to do with your time, Mr.President," I say, letting my hair down as I walk over to the sofa.

"Oh trust me I do," he doesn't even look up as I take a seat to the left of him, his eyes engrossed in whatever old article he's examining. "Oh God, 197? Are all of your newspapers from last year?"

I roll my eyes at how pretentious he sounds. "No, I'm sure there's a '96 in there somewhere." I kick my feet on the table, and he flips the page to start scanning the next lines of writing.

"I'm sure you didn't come here to read, so what do you want, Kai?" I ask, growing tired of his random familiarity.

"I'm still waiting for your response." He folds the paper in his hands, and places it neatly on top of the pile.

"Must you come all the way down here yourself? Couldn't you have sent me a method in which I could have relayed the message to? Through Shona perhaps?" I motion to the room behind me, reminding him that I'm already constantly under surveillance.

"Not with this matter I'm afraid. The situations growing more dire and time's running out. Besides, being around me is always a treat." He smiles to himself, falling further into his seat.

I look at him sternly, waiting for him to continue. He finally does, "In one week's time, he'll have the class divided into the separate ranks he has prepared for you. He'd have a group specifically for his Karma recruits. I need a list of names before then, I need an idea of who exactly we're dealing with before Jacoby plants the idea of rebellion in the class."

I consider everything he says, wondering if this is a task I should accept. On one hand, I'd be taking down the group that ruined my life, on the other hand I'd be working with the man and world I've loathed for the last five years.

I can tell Kai senses my hesitance because he adds one more condition. "If you agree to help me, then I'll ensure you and Devon are compensated to Stella status after the entire ordeal." I perked up at the mention of my brother, trying to decide the best action to take for his sake.

"I don't know the other recruits well enough to ask the same of them," he continues, "but I know you're loyal, strong, and intelligent. I could really use you as an ally."

After another minute of agonizing thought, I finally cave, deciding Cardinal is less detrimental than the Karmas. "Alright," I nodded, "I'll help you."

The shadow of a smile dances on his lips, but only enough to show his satisfaction with my response. "Good choice. As of today, I'll be visiting your room daily, expecting updates for any new revelations in the case. You will tell me any information you com across, no matter how vague. Do you understand, Castelle?"