Chapter 29

The class was split into five groups. The diversely intelligent and agile cadets were filed into the cafeteria for a debriefing of their assigned rank. Cynthia was among the group, casually laughing with an acquaintance as they made their way through the double doors: five total.

The meeker yet strong-willed were lined along the back wall, being yelled at by a general named Chet: seven total.

The neanderthals without brains were all grouped by an equally brutish commander by the wall of dummies; ironic: six total.

Those without major specialties or discerning features and characteristics are huddled in the center sparring square, awaiting further instructions from an officer that has yet to show. Aster seems slightly discouraged, leaning against the rubber bars while staring emptily at his hands: nine total.

Lastly, a specialty team led by Jacoby is currently making their way through the unknown halls of wing Delta. Among them are Aria, Blake, and myself: three total.

If not for the slight differences in the Capitol emblem, it would've been nearly impossible to discern the difference between the three halls that I've already visited. I tiptoe around the feathers of the cardinal into an unmarked door on the northeast side of the circle. Blake's trailing Jacoby like a lost puppy following the heels of a pity treat. Aria's doing the same to me, hugging my wrist as we trot behind the pair of steroid injected heathens.

The metal door whirls into a small room, compressed air blowing strands of loose hair out of my eyes. A panel of buttons along the door side of the wall light up to eight separate floors of hallways. Jacoby presses the button to the ground floor, and the room starts descending into a blind pit of screeching pulleys and rusted gears.

"Where's Silas and Kent?" I ask, trying to determine what lie he fed them to get them to stay away.

"They were assigned to patrol in the nearby Stella province. Either way, I have personal orders from President Blaire to be your's and Aria's new escort starting today."

"I didn't hear of any orders."

"It's above your authorization," he says sternly, cutting off the last bit of my sentence. Seems like from here on out I won't have Silas's reassuring air, or Kent's comic relief to keep me in check. Maybe it's for the better, I'd rather not have them see me be reacquainted with the Karmas.

I ponder on why exactly we went all the way to the elevator in wing Delta when there are several in wing Alpha alone, but it's clear when the door slides open on the bottom. The difference between the hall we walk into and the other halls in the building is the lack of people swarming around the open ground of the Capitol emblem. Which means there's no one there to stop the questionable general from walking right outside into the barren backyard of Cardinal Tower.

It's been a while since I felt the wandering eyes of onlookers from the street, gawking at me with intimidation. The four of us make our way around the central marketplace, people quickly moving aside to clear up a path for us. Our suits were an indication of our affiliation with Trinity, and no one was willing to challenge our unspoken authority. I can't say that I haven't missed the feeling of being feared, in fact, I can feel myself thriving like the street thrown criminal I once was. I try not to smirk, but I can't help it, I like it better this way.

After walking along a street or two out of Stella property, It doesn't take long to figure out where we're going. An abandoned fruit stand on the corner of a rundown Tetra province.

"Welcome to the Karma Citadel," Jacoby waved, a familiar recreational room rippling through my nostalgic memory. A long desk situated at the front of the council room stares out at a less refined meeting center. A few Karmas lounged around, paying no homage to the four Stafford guards making their way through their council room. "Trinity Central has three major buildings. Cardinal Tower, Stafford corporations, and the lesser known Karma Citadel."