Chapter 19

"What are you doing out here?" Kai asks, ready to open the door I just came from. "You still have four minutes to finish the exam."

"Already finished Blaire," I say with my hands up, "I was just about to head to training with Doctor Grazinski. What are you doing here?"

"I was supposed to talk to the initiates after they all failed their tests," he says, scratching the back of his head while looking back at me dubiously. "But it seems there's no need for me to lecture you, now is there?"

"Not in the slightest Mr.President," I tease, "Don't expect a failing grade from me." We stand for a minute, staring at each other.

No words are exchanged and yet everything is said. His eyes exude hatred and disgust, and yet I can make out the faintest outline of a smile on his lips. His hand keeps running through his hair as though he were unsure, and yet he stands more menacingly than any other person I've seen. How is he the one thing I can't understand?

I start to walk down the hall towards the training facility when he calls from behind me, "You know, I still never got that 'thank you'." His tone was more mocking than before, more playful since our spat but still too cold to be forgiving.

"I don't say 'thank you'," I yell back while walking away without bothering to so much as turn around.

Silas was using one of the punching bags towards the end of the room, away from the door. His jacket was thrown on the floor next to the mats, leaving his white dress shirt to soak up the sweat running down his neck, wrinkling with every movement.. He didn't seem to notice me enter, entirely engrossed with his workout. He steadies the sandbag after a few hits, only to continue with another round of attacks. After a minute, he wipes his brow with his sleeve, exhaustion clearly setting in, and I figured it would be a good time to make my presence known.

I walk away from the double doors so that it closes with a loud bang, ripping his attention away from the poor bag he was pounding. He turns, surprised to see me.

"You're finished?" he asks, grabbing his jacket. He buttons his top two buttons and slides on the jacket while I nod. He takes out a wristwatch from his left pocket and stares at the hands ticking away. "There's still three minutes left," he says, still looking at the watch.

"How perceptive of you," I taunt. He pushes his cowlick out of his face, beads of sweat running down his neck, and stuffs his pocket watch back into his coat.

"One day that attitude of yours is going to get you killed," he tilts his head, a look of subtle annoyance spreading across his face. Yeah, that's what the douchebag President thinks too. "Well, Jacoby normally holds back the trainees to taunt their 'test-taking abilities', which means we have about ten minutes to spare before your designated training time," Silas says, sauntering back to the far end of the room. That must explain Kai's sudden presence despite such a trivial affair. I'd assume he'd have other things to worry about, unless of course he was just so eager to scold me himself.

I look back through the glass pane in the door, out into the hall that leads to the canteen. Sure enough, Kai remains in the hall shifting uncomfortably on his feet. After a few more moments, I see him glance at the door I entered through before turning back down the hall, leaving the trainees he was meant to scold.

Not thinking much about it, I turn my attention back to the rest of my day.

"Is Jacoby going to watch me train?" I asked, grinning at the thought of that pompous ass cowering in fear at the sight of my abilities.

"Nope, Grazinski, but he won't come until testing's over since even he doesn't think It's possible to finish," Silas leans against the mat facing the still frozen sparring square. It's half melted by now with water pooling around the concrete surrounding the square. The icicles glisten under the light, reflecting a ray of radiance contradicting the events that occurred for them to end up there. I walk up to the ring, water sloshing under my boots the closer I get and reach out.