Chapter 14

Tick tock. I take Kai's spot on the loveseat, staring out at the sunset just as he was. Our conversation replayed in my head over and over again. The living area was enveloped in pink and gold, light streaming in through the glass, filling the room. Bits of red and a sea of grey cascade over the dead mountains. Ribbons of purple and curtains of orange shine through the dilapidated buildings and the abandoned streets where darkness is quickly setting.

Tick tock. I haven't moved, I just looked. I looked on at the people running in fear, at the chaos unfolding below. At the guards chasing a group of Karmas. At a group of Karmas chasing a young woman. At a little girl crying over a lifeless body and a little boy trying to revive it. I look at the state in which my life used to be.

Tick tock. I heard gunshots on the streets, the knives hitting their targets. I heard the frightened, blood-curdling screams pairing with the sound of footsteps hitting the pavement. The crying of children in the distance and I know that they just lost someone because that's the only reason they ever cry anymore.

Tick tock. I feel. I feel?

I feel nothing.

I feel empty.

Tick tock.

The clock down the hall indicates that it's been about an hour since I woke up. An hour since Kai walked out. Suddenly, the gravity of the events that have happened in the last two days finally catches up to me and part of me is mortified, the other part exhilarated. Ever since I came here, I've made an enemy out of the person I've known longest in my life aside from Devon, the person who controls everything, including me. I've been given two abilities that - granted are really fascinating - I've never wanted. I'm standing at the top of Cardinal Tower, staring down at where I once was and thinking about where I am now. Wondering about how horrible it is for me to not care as much as I should.

I build up the strength to finally fix myself that glass of water I forgot to get before. My yelling at Kai has definitely not made my throat any more forgiving. I open a couple of overhead cabinets until I find one filled with small porcelain cups big enough to fit nicely in my hand. I hold it under the faucet and tap the handle lightly so a light stream of water fills the cavity of the cup. Functioning pipes and drains are what only these pompous rich aristocrats can afford now. I'm no Robin Hood, but at least I acknowledge that something's not right. God, I hate that they don't do anything about the people right under their noses. I hate that I'm one of them now. I hate that-

With my anger seething through, It takes me a second to realize that I was suddenly surrounded by golden mist, the same glitter from before, enveloping my arm in a wave of light. It takes me an even longer second to realize that the water in my cup has evaporated into vapor in just a matter of seconds. I had almost forgotten about that ability. The golden bands find their way back into my arm, the mark receding with the glitter.

I can feel the adrenaline subsiding, but not the pain that I'm used to enduring. Molecular manipulation? Just based off of the break down of the word, I assume I can alter the molecular structure of materials. I can change the material something is made of, change its state of matter like with the water, or maybe even make it into an entirely new object. That's awesome! I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little excited about my new arrangement and my new powers, I can't necessarily complain. Not yet anyway.

* * *

Shona rapidly knocks on my door around seven o'clock. I trot to the door connecting her room to mine while wearing a loose pair of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt I found in the dresser. I rub the dread out of my eyes and push my tangled hair out of my face. My groggy features may either be an indication of my giving up, or the toll that these experiments have taken on my body. She looks me up and down, her eyes growing in disapproval with the more of me she sees. When she's done with my once-over, she has an expression of absolute disgust.