07.

flagstaff | chapter seven

"Could we maybe go somewhere to talk?" Sam asks, eyes wide and pleading

"Could we maybe go somewhere to talk?" Sam asks, eyes wide and pleading. Dakota sighs, seemingly unable to say no.

"Yeah, sure. I guess." She nods, tone unsure. "But I want an explanation. You owe me that."

Sam nods immediately and frantically. "Of course! I know that, you need answers. I just thought here might not be the best place to do that." He quickly bends down over the two bodies and presses two fingers to each of their necks, waiting a minute before breathing out a sigh of relief. "They're alive."

"What?" Dakota's eyes widen. "Kill them, then! What if they come after us again?"

Sam shakes his head, a small amused smile creeping onto his face. "The demons are gone, these are normal humans. They were possessed. The people are alive."

Dakota sighs in relief and nods slightly. "Should we not help them?" She asks, Sam sighs sadly and shakes his head.

"They'll be fine. A little confused but fine overall. It's best not to let people see you after, they'll think you kidnapped them or something." He explains, lifting the little girl and placing her closer to the woman, trying to make them more comfortable. "We can't afford the questions unfortunately. I'll call someone for help though." He holds up the woman's phone with a grin and starts dialing. "Hi, two people are unconscious and need help. Yeah, hurry. A little girl and I'm guessing her mother. My name? Oh, my name is-" He hangs up.

"What the Hell?" Dakota asks in shock. 

"Best not to give names." He shrugs, dropping the phone onto the chair he'd been sat on. "Come on, let's get out of here before people show up." Sam grabs Dakota's wrist and drags her away, picking up his gun on the way and tucking it into his jeans, covering it with his shirt. 

The two teens arrive at a diner, called Joe's Diner. The two sit opposite each other in a booth and stare at each other for a moment before a waitress appears asking for their orders. 

"Uh, I'll have a hot chocolate please." Dakota smiles kindly.

"Uh, I'll have the same please, uh," He looks at the name tag and smiles at the woman. "Jenny."

"Two hot chocolates coming right up." She smiles happily before walking away as she writes the order in her notebook. 

"Okay, explain. Now." Dakota demands, staring straight into Sam's eyes. 

"Elisa and Emily, they were demons. Or at least possessed by some." Sam explains. "I haven't faced many, two at the most before this. And I usually have my Dad and Dean with me. But I'm always the one exorcising them, seeing as Dad and Dean don't ever actually read. My Dad trained us to be Hunters of monsters from a young age, because something killed my Mom."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Dakota smiles sadly at the boy, his face has gone sad and wistful in a matter of seconds.

"No, don't be. I never knew my Mom. She died when I was a baby. But my Dad has been consumed by revenge ever since, trying to find whatever killed her. But we have no idea what it was, so he drags us off to kill other monsters." Sam tells her, shrugging slightly. "It's what most of my fights with him are about. I just want a normal life, but I can't have that if my Dad is dragging us around the country, staying in one place for no longer than two weeks and hunting monsters."

"That must be tough." Dakota admits, Sam nods sadly.

"Yeah, it is." He sighs. "Dad has never really been about anyway, my brother pretty much raised me." He chuckles slightly. "There was this one Christmas, we were in a Motel and Dad hadn't come home for Christmas. I'd just found out about monsters and was really upset. I was eight. Well, when I went to sleep, Dean went and stole a couple presents from a house down the street, decorated the Motel room and claimed Dad had been back while I was asleep." Dakota frowns slightly at the thought of Sam's Dad not bothering to be about for Christmas. "I figured it out when the presents were for little girls."

Both the teenagers chuckle at the last part of the story just as the waitress returns with their hot chocolates. "Here you go, kids." She smiles, placing them on the table. "And here's the check." She places that in the center of the table. "Come and pay at the till when you leave." And with that she walks away. 

Dakota gets a glimpse of the check and sees that it comes to five dollars and smiles, taking out a five dollar bill. 

"No, no. I'll pay!" Sam insists, seeing her take it out. 

"Sam, you just saved my life. The least I can do is pay for your drink." Dakota states, Sam looks like he's about to protest but a glare from Dakota makes him sigh and agree.

"Fine." He groans, taking a sip of the drink. 

The two sit and drink their hot chocolates in companionable silence.  When they finally finish and Dakota pays the bill, they walk out of the diner. 

"I should get going. I need to find somewhere to stay." Dakota smiles.

"Why don't you come stay with me? I told you, I found a place. And I don't like the thought of you getting yourself kidnapped again." Sam suggests. Dakota considers it for a moment before nodding in agreement with a grin.

"Yeah. I'd like that. Thank you, Sam." She laughs. "Let's get going!"

So the two begin their short journey. 

Both thinking similar thoughts. 

Their minds completely on each other and the apparent connection they share. 

Both are confused by it, slightly concerned, and very intrigued. 

What happens if they have to lose each other then?

What it the reason of this odd connection they apparently share?