12.

flagstaff | chapter twelve

The next day, Dakota dresses in black legging and a grey crop top, knowing she's going to be training to fight with Sam

The next day, Dakota dresses in black legging and a grey crop top, knowing she's going to be training to fight with Sam. She had managed to memorise the exorcism the night before while Sam had gone out to get them some dinner from the diner, he'd come back with a couple of burgers and milkshakes.

She pulls on a pair of shoes and ties her long hair into a ponytail before braiding it, to keep it out of her way. 

Dakota walks out and finds Sam waiting with two cups of coffee again, and dressed in his jeans and flannel shirt. She furrows her eyebrows, has he changed his mind?

"Morning, Blondie." Sam grins, holding the coffee out to her. "Two sugars, just how you like it." Dakota glares at the nickname as she takes the coffee.

"My name isn't 'Blondie', Samantha." She states. Sam chuckles and shakes his head. 

"I know." He shrugs. "But I like it, it suits you. Samantha, however, does not suit me."

"I don't know. I think it does." Dakota laughs, sitting on her own chair. "Why are you wearing jeans and flannel? I thought you were training me today."

Finally, Sam looks at what Dakota is wearing and scoffs. "I am. But you need to be prepared to fight no matter what you're wearing. That'll do for now, but when you're a bit better we'll have to try in jeans and skirts and dresses. You need to be prepared. Monsters aren't going to wait for you to get changed into something more comfortable, they're going to take any chance they get to attack."

Dakota nods as she takes a sip of her coffee. "All right, Sensei Sam." She smirks, Sam rolls his eyes, but smiles none the less.

"You're not going to call me that, Blondie." He chuckles, shaking his head. 

"Watch me." She shrugs with a wink. Sam glares at her playfully as he takes another sip of coffee. He then pulls out two boxes from a bag at his feet that Dakota hadn't noticed before.

"Rule number two, never fight on an empty stomach." He states, handing over one box. Dakota furrows her eyebrows as she takes it and opens the box, grinning when she finds a chocolate brownie. 

"You remembered?" She questions, raising her brows at him.

"Well yeah, it was only about three days ago, Kota." He chuckles. "I'm not likely to forget something like that so quickly."

"Right." Dakota grins awkwardly, looking down to hide the small blush creeping up her neck and onto her cheeks. "Well, thanks. What did you get yourself?"

"I got brownie too." He shrugs. "But-" He takes out two more boxes and hands Dakota one and keeps one for himself, "Salad first." Dakota groans and Sam grins at her. "You gotta stay in shape if you wanna learn to fight, Kota."

Sighing, Dakota opens her salad and starts eating. Surprisingly, the young blonde actually enjoys the salad. 

"You like it, don't you?" Sam grins, Dakota rolls her eyes at him.

"Yes, okay. I like it." She sighs, Sam smirks slightly and Dakota glares at him. "Shut up."

"I didn't say anything!" Sam protests, but Dakota just glares again and Sam laughs. 

"You're infuriating, did anyone ever tell you that before?" Dakota questions with a hint of a smile playing at her lips.

"No, actually. It's always me and others telling that to my brother." Sam shrugs with a small smirk. 

"Yeah, well you're infuriating."Dakota states. Sam chuckles.

"Right back at ya, Buttercup." He winks. Dakota's eyes widen and she looks down, a blush once again heating her cheeks at the nickname. 

"Shut up." She says softly. Sam laughs again. 

The two finish their food in silence, before Sam stands up and breaks the silence.

"All right, come on." He grins. "We better head out if you want to get a good day of training in."

"Coming, coming." Dakota sighs, standing up. "Are we taking Bones?"

"Uh, probably wouldn't be the best idea. Might get in the way of training." Sam shakes his head. "I've left a bowl of food and water out for him though, and I took him with me when I went to get food and coffee. I'll take him out again later when we get back."

Dakota nods and ruffles the fur on the dogs' head before grabbing a jacket and walking to the door, Sam following behind. They both walk out, Sam closing the door behind them and Sam leads the way to where they'll train. 

"Where are we actually going?" Dakota asks as they walk, tying her jacket around her waist. 

"I found a clearing while walking Bones this morning, figured it'd be a good place." He explains with a shrug as he climbs over a fallen tree. He turns and holds his hand out to help Dakota over and she smiles and accepts the help.

"Thanks." She grins, before realising their hands are still joined and she quickly pulls away and looks down awkwardly.

"Uh, yeah. You're welcome." Sam nods, just as awkwardly, yet slightly disappointed. 

"So, this clearing. How far away is it?" Dakota asks after a short amount of silence filled with tension and awkwardness.

"Not far, just a few more minutes and we should be there." Sam replies, smiling. The blonde smiles back and nods.

"Cool." She nods, jumping over a small stream, Sam doing the same. 

"Nice jump." The boy smiles, Dakota sends him a small smile in return.

The two runaways finally reach the clearing, Dakota looks around and grins. 

"This is nice." She says appreciatively. "Should we get started?"

Sam nods and steps into the center of the clearing. "Come on, Kota. Give it your best shot." He grins, sending her a wink.

Dakota laughs, looking down. One thought flashes through her mind though.

Am I starting to get feelings for Sam?