14.

flagstaff | chapter fourteen

As she walks towards town, Dakota starts thinking about Sam and their shared moment

As she walks towards town, Dakota starts thinking about Sam and their shared moment. She knows she has developed feeling for him in the short time they've known each other, in a way, she thinks it was kind of inevitable. 

The way Sam reacted to the moment suggests that he feels similar, or feels completely different and the intimacy felt uncomfortable to him. Dakota groans in frustration. 

"Sam Winchester, you are a mystery." She mutters to herself as she reaches the edge of the forest and makes her way into town towards a Chinese takeaway.

She walks inside and is immediately hit with the scent of Chinese food. A man is stood behind a counter, with a large and jolly smile that almost seems fake to the young girl, she rolls her eyes.

"Hello." The man smiles his fake smile. "What may I do for you, young lady?"

"Uh, two orders of Kung Po Chicken please." She orders, the man smiles, again, and nods, calling back to the cooks the order.

"It will be right with you, Miss." He tells her and Dakota smiles back and takes a seat by the window to wait. 

As she waits, her thoughts drift back to Sam and she inwardly groans. She thinks of his eyes, how they had twinkled in the sun earlier that day as she stared into them. His hair, brown and shaggy, beautiful. She thinks of his laughter, the sound she hears often, but not often enough in her opinion. The sound is something she'd like to hear every second of every day. She thinks of his nicknames for her, and his teasing. 

Dakota lets out a frustrated groan at her thoughts.

"Please be patient, dear." The man behind the counter speaks, obviously thinking she was groaning because of the wait for food.

"I am." She snaps. "What I'm thinking has nothing to do with you."

"I apologise." The man bows his head and Dakota sighs and rolls her eyes. Soon enough her order is brought out and she pays the man eight dollars and leaves with the bag of Chinese food, walking into a store and buying a bottle of Coke before heading back 'home'.

As she walks, Dakota decides she and Sam need to talk about earlier. She knows that if they don't, it will eat at them until they can no longer bar to be in the same room as each other. 

So she makes the decision to mention it as soon as possible, and have the talk they need.

When she arrives, Sam is sat outside watching as Bones chases a stick and brings it back, before he throws it again and the dog bounds after it. Dakota smiles at the sight and walks closer. "Hey. You're playing fetch without me? How could you?" She grins. Sam looks up and smiles.

"Ah, didn't think you'd mind just this once, Kota. Bones was just so looking forward to a game without you." Sam winks. Dakota gasps, placing her hand over her heart in mock hurt.

"How dare he?" She asks in feux sadness. "I thought we were best friends."

"Nah, I found him first." Sam chuckles. Bones runs back to him and drops the stick, Sam rubs his head and Bones digs himself into his chest asking for more attention. "Isn't that right, boy?" Bones barks softly and Dakota and Sam laugh in amusement. "So what did you get?" He looks to Dakota.

"Chinese." She grins, holding the bag up. "Hope you don't mind."

"Course I don't mind, Kota." Sam shrugs. "I love Chinese."

"Good." Dakota nods, "I got Kung Po Chicken." She sits beside him and takes out the boxes of food, passing one to her friend, who takes it eagerly.

"Thanks." He smiles, Dakota nods with a smile.

They eat in silence, both stealing glances at the other, hoping they don't notice. "We need to talk." They both suddenly say in unison before bursting out laughing. 

"About earlier." Sam states awkwardly. Dakota nods, smiling. "I-uh. I like you, Kota."

A blush makes it's way up Dakota's neck and onto her cheeks, Sam looking similar in that aspect.

"I like you too." The blonde whispers. Both teenagers turn their heads slightly so they're facing each other and their eyes widen slightly, before they inevitably close and they lean towards each other, pressing their lips to each others. 

Their hearts beat faster, almost in perfect sync with each other, as the kiss deepens and all feelings are brought to the surface.

The kiss is sweet and innocent, but passionate and full of emotion. Neither teenager wanting to break away, both just wanting this moment to last forever.