18.

flagstaff | chapter eighteen

"Okay, so kick, kick, punch." Sam says as Dakota does as he tells her. "Punch, kick, punch. Duck, jump, dodge." 

"This sucks." Dakota groans as she winds up on the floor of the clearing because Sam managed to knock her down again.

"You're getting there, Kota." Sam grins, helping her back up. "Most people wouldn't be anywhere near as good as you are. You just need to believe in yourself."

"Sam, we've been at this for three days now and you're still beating me within seconds most of the time, with the odd exception where it's a few minutes." Dakota reminds him.

"Yeah, but you're getting there." Sam states firmly. "Like I said, believe in yourself. Dean always told me that if I don't believe I can do something, then chances are, I won't be able to."

"But I have tried so many times, Sammy!" Dakota sighs dramatically, falling into his arms and staring up at him. "I'm so much better at this." She pecks him on the lips quickly. "It is so much more fun too."

Sam grins at her as he catches her lips in a kiss.

Dakota pulls away though. "No, no, Sammy. We're supposed to be training." She smirks as he glares at her.

"I'm sure we can make an exception just this once." He winks before pressing his lips to hers once more. Dakota sighs as she gives in and kisses back, all teasing done, and she melts into the kiss.

They pull away and Dakota smiles softly. "I don't think I have ever had such an amazing day before. I mean, training wasn't too bad. I did almost beat you once."

"Uh, no you didn't." Sam chuckles, shaking his head. "You jumped onto my back and demanded a piggyback."

"Yeah, and you didn't put me down for ten minutes!" Dakota reminds him. "I'd call that a win." Sam rolls his eyes.

"I chose not to put you down, Buttercup. You were laughing, and your laugh is beautiful." He smiles at her making the young blonde blush profusely. 

"It's not that great, Samantha." She denies shyly, causing the boy to snicker slightly. "It's just a laugh. But your eyes are definitely beautiful."

Sam's eyes widen as he too blushes then closes his eyes and grins at her. "Well now you can't see them. And you won't be seeing them again until you laugh." He states stubbornly. Dakota giggles slightly, unintentionally and Sam immediately opens his eyes again and Dakota can practically see the grin in his eyes. 

Dakota sits down on the floor and Sam quickly does the same, allowing the blonde to lay her head in his lap as she begins threading daisies together, and he plays with her hair. 

They stay in that position for a few minutes as Dakota turns her daisies into crowns and places one on Sam's head and the other on her own and she sits up, picking up her camera and snapping a picture. 

She's been taking pictures often during the time she's known Sam, it's a habit she's had for ages. She has already filled a few pages of her scrapbook with pictures of herself and Sam, and she has also pinned some to the walls with the postcards Sam had previously pinned up for some kind of decoration.

She places the camera and the pictures back into it's bag and places it back where she had left it as she stands up and starts picking flowers from bushes and the floor, putting them all together to take back with her to liven up the place some more.

"What are you doing?" Sam asks, coming up behind her. Dakota grins and twirls around holding the flowers out in front of her. 

"Picking flowers. We need more life in that place, it's still pretty dull, even with all those pictures and postcards." She explains with a shrug of her shoulders before turning back to pick more. Sam chuckles slightly as he walks back to where they'd been sitting and sits back down, watching as she picks the flowers and hums slightly. 

Soon enough she's pulling a hair tie from her hair and putting it around the stems of the flowers, and placing them with her camera.

"You ready to get back to training now, Blondie?" Sam questions, standing back up to face her. Dakota nods and they spend a few more hours sparring with each other, Dakota slowly getting better and better, soon able to last minutes in each fight. Still losing, but lasting much longer. 

As the sun starts to set, Sam and Dakota climb into a tree to watch it, Dakota snapping a few pictures as they watch. The blonde has her head resting on Sam's shoulder, again with his arm around her shoulders. 

"I love this." She whispers, staring at the sunset ahead of them. She feels Sam nod slightly. 

"Me too." He agrees quietly, not wanting to ruin the mood they seem to have set.

"And I love you." Dakota adds softly, Sam immediately tenses beside her and she can practically feel his eyes widen in shock and fear. 

"I-I." He stammers, unable to say anything else. 

Next thing she knows, Sam is jumping from the tree and running off into the forest.

"Crap." Dakota mutters to herself.