23.

flagstaff | chapter twenty three

Bright light shines into Dakota's eyes as she slowly wakes up

Bright light shines into Dakota's eyes as she slowly wakes up. But where she expected hard and cold rock ground, she has soft blankets and a bed. 

Immediately, Dakota sits up in bed, frantically looking around the room. Her eyes widen as she sees Sam passed out in a chair next to her bed, then realises she's home. Well, as close to home as she's got right now. 

"Sammy." She whispers softly, needing to talk. She needs answers. Last thing she remembers is exorcising that damn Demon, then passing out. "Sammy, wake up!" She shakes the boy slightly causing him to groan in frustration and open his eyes groggily. 

"Five more minutes Dean." He mumbles, and Dakota giggles slightly.

"Unless your brother is suddenly a girl who is in love with you, I think you are mistaken Sammy." She grins, Sam is suddenly sat up straight and throwing his arms around her.

"Oh thank God you're okay!" He murmurs into her hair as he kisses the top of her head. "I was so scared. I thought I'd lost you, Kota."

"I'm fine, Sam. What happened?" Dakota's eyes are wide and frantic as she tries to figure out what happened. 

"We were out walking Bones when these Demons appeared. They started talking about how you are in the way of their plans or something and I tried exorcising them but they knocked me out. When I woke up they were gone, and so were you. I panicked and looked everywhere for you, until finally I heard your voice. It was odd, I could hear you in my mind and suddenly I knew where you were." Sam explains. "I think it's our connection growing. We're getting closer, and so is the connection?"

"That." Dakota pauses, thinking it over. "That actually makes sense. And that terrifies me! I mean, just last week, I would've laughed at the thought of Demons and weird connections with strangers. And now I'm suddenly thinking that being able to hear thoughts and locate each other actually makes sense! I am going insane."

"Kota, hey, hey. You're not going insane, Blondie. Because if you're insane, then I must be too. Do you think I'm insane?" Sam asks, grabbing her hands in his own and staring into the confused blonde's eyes.

"No, course you're not." She shakes her head. "No. I'm sorry. I don't think any of this really settled in until now. I don't think I realised how much my life has changed in the past week since meeting you."

Sam sighs guiltily and looks down at the floor before he moves to sit on the bed beside his girlfriend. "I am so sorry, Kota. You shouldn't be involved in any of this, it seems to be about me. Your life, although not perfect, was normal until you met me. Sure you had run away from home and you'd been betrayed. But you didn't have Demons and monsters to deal with."

"No, Sam. No! You are not to blame yourself." Dakota pleads, cupping his face in her hands softly. "None of this is your fault. And I wouldn't trade this for anything in the entire world! I wouldn't trade you for my asshole of an ex boyfriend. I wouldn't trade this relationship we have built for my old life. I miss my family, of course I do. But I love you, Sammy. Nothing is ever going to change that. Whether we are together forever or not. Whether we find new relationships some time in the future. I will always love you. You are always going to be my world. So don't you dare blame yourself for somehow ruining my life, because my life is far from ruined!"

A small smile graces Sam's lips. "I love you too, Kota." He whispers, pulling her in for a long and passionate kiss. Calloused hands grip thin arms, thumbs rubbing small circles into the skin. Dakota moves her hands into Sam's hair, shifting her body closer to his. 

"I want more." Dakota breathes into Sam's mouth, breaking apart for a second to make eye contact. A smile spreads over each of their faces as their lips meet in another kiss and Dakota moves her body to straddle Sam's lap. 

His hands move down from her arms and are gently placed onto her waist as she presses closer to the teenage boy, putting more passion into their kiss. 

Dakota fumbles with the buttons on Sam's flannel shirt, trying not to break their kiss. But soon enough, all articles of clothing are removed from both parties.