11.

flagstaff | chapter eleven

Sam and Dakota return to the house, Dakota still thinking on whether she wants to learn to fight or not

Sam and Dakota return to the house, Dakota still thinking on whether she wants to learn to fight or not. Like she had told Sam, she took Karate when she was twelve, but this would be actual, proper fighting. 

Bones trails along behind the teenagers, probably sensing the tension and deciding to stay away from it. Since Sam offered to train her, Dakota has been quiet, needing to think things over. 

On one hand, she knows that if she learned, she'd be able to defend herself against anything trying to hurt her. She wouldn't be helpless against them, like she was with the Demons. But on the other hand, if she were to learn, she'd no doubt change. Being able to hurt people changes people from what she knows, and she's not sure she wants to change much. Plus, does she really want to go through the efforts of training, when it could mean getting the crap kicked out of her on a daily basis?

Sam opens the door and Dakota stalks inside, Sam letting Bones go through next before finally entering himself and closing the door behind him. Dakota sits on a chair and tugs her shoes off, groaning slightly.

"Yes." She looks up at Sam, finally speaking. Sam raises his eyebrows in shock.

"Yes, what?" He questions, narrowing his eyes at the blonde in front of him. 

"Yes, Sam, I want you to teach me to fight." She states, rolling her eyes slightly. "I've been thinking it over, and decided it'd probably be best if I could fight and defend myself, instead of having to depend on you. After getting kidnapped by Demons, I've realised I don't want to be helpless, I want to be able to stop that from happening again."

"Okay." Sam grins. "We'll start fighting and shooting tomorrow. For now, you need to learn an exorcism." He walks to the table and quickly looks through a book before smiling in satisfaction and sliding the book to Dakota. "Memorise that. If you want to be able to stop Demons from getting you again, you'll need to know that."

Dakota grins and nods as she reads over the exorcism in front of her, over and over again. She reads over it for hours, as Sam continues his research on their connection, which they are no closer to figuring out. 

Occasionally Dakota reads it out loud to Sam, and he'll give her pointers on the wording and take the book for her to try saying it without it in front of her, but so far, she's getting nowhere. 

"Ugh!" She groans, dropping the book to the table in frustration. "Why is Latin so hard? You'd think they'd make exorcism's easier, do these people not want us safe? Do they want Demons to come and tear our brains out?"

Sam chuckles slightly, looking up at the girl. "Dakota, it's not that hard. It's going to take longer than three hours to memorise it." He explains. "And you're doing good. You're only forgetting a few words now, and only a couple pronunciations are wrong. You're getting there, just keep going a little longer. Demons are not going to tear your brains out."

Dakota smiles a bit at that before rolling her eyes and getting back to her book, missing the find look Sam shoots at her and the small blush on his cheeks. 

"I get this isn't meant to be easy, but how am I supposed to protect myself if I can't even get one exorcism right?" Dakota asks. Sam grins and shakes his head.

"I'll tell you a secret." He stage whispers, making Dakota chuckle. "My brother, Dean, he still doesn't know any exorcisms off by heart. Dad doesn't either. I've been trying to drill it into their minds for years, but they both just brush me off telling me if they come across a Demon, they'll read an exorcism from a book. But I don't believe that's good enough, Dad is always going on about needing to be the best, but he never even bothers with learning these things."

"So, you memorised this by your own choice?" Dakota asks in disbelief, as if the boy in front of her is insane, which she wouldn't be surprised if he is. 

"Yeah." Sam shrugs with a smile. "I love learning new things. I'm the one who's always sent to do research for hunts, Dad expects me to be able to figure everything out, but then he rarely listens to what I have to say. He thinks he knows better." The teenager rolls his eyes slightly in annoyance.

"Must suck." Dakota acknowledges, Sam nods immediately. "Again, I can't imagine living that way."

"No, I wouldn't want you to." Sam tells her with a shrug. "It's a life I wouldn't wish upon anybody. I've wanted out for years. I want to go to College, it's my dream to get into Stanford. Last year, a Teacher actually made me believe it possible. But, I'm not sure it is. I mean, I've kept my grades up in School, and I'm away from Dad. But I'm still not sure it's possible for me."

"Of course it is, Sam!" Dakota tells him with wide eyes. "Of course it's possible. You just have to believe it is. You'll get into Stanford, I know you will."

"I haven't got the money, Kota." Sam sighs, closing the book he had been reading. "I have no way to make the money either. I mean, you got kidnapped because of our connection. The Demons wanted me! Because of some crap Destiny they didn't like. What if that happens again, to you, or to someone else? What if someone else gets hurt because of this so called Destiny of mine? Or worse? I can't have that normal life, Kota."

"Sam Winchester, you listen to me." Dakota is stood up now, touring over Sam's sitting frame and glaring at him. "You will get into Stanford. You will! I know you will! And just because some Demons hated the thought of your Destiny, doesn't mean they all will, doesn't mean they'll all go after me or other people! You can have that normal life, Sammy. Don't give up on it. Not without a really good reason." 

"Okay." He smiles.

"Promise me, Sam. Promise me that you will keep trying at this normal life you so desire." 

"I promise."