27.

flagstaff | chapter twenty seven

Dakota groans as she looks up from her second book of the day

Dakota groans as she looks up from her second book of the day. She and Sam had agreed to dedicate the day to trying to figure out more about their connection, so far they still have nothing. 

"This whole thing is pointless." Dakota states, resting her chin in her hand as her elbows rest on the table, staring at Sam with sad eyes. 

"I know it's not exactly the most exciting thing we could be doing, Kota. But I also know we need to figure this out. I mean, we've already tested out that whole mind thing and it hasn't worked again. I think it only works when one of us is in danger or something. It scares me Kota, and I know it terrifies you." Sam sighs, closing his book having finished it, and grabbing another.

"Of course it terrifies me, Sammy." Dakota says softly, letting him know she's just as scared as he is. "And I know we're going to figure this out. We have all the time in the world, Sam. We'll figure it out."

Sam breathes out a sigh and nods. "I know we do, Kota. I know. I just really want to figure this out. I rarely manage to get it out of my mind, and the fact that it's obviously demon related." He shakes his head, grimacing slightly. Dakota reaches across the table and takes his hands in hers.

"It's okay, Sam." She mutters. "It may be Demon related, but that doesn't make us Demons. We're still human. We're still us. I'm still Dakota Quinn and you're still Sam Winchester. It changes nothing."

"Except the fact that my Dad would probably want me dead if he ever found out." Sam whispers, voice cracking and a tear falling from the corner of his eye. 

"He'll never find out, Sam. You're not with him anymore." Dakota points out, bringing his hand to her lips and placing a kiss onto his knuckles. "And he's your Dad. He'd never want you dead."

"Are you sure?" He asks brokenly, looking up into Dakota's eyes and her heart breaks when she sees all the unshed tears in his eyes.

"Of course I am, Sammy." She assures him with a whisper. "He loves you, even if he doesn't always show it right."

"Of course." Sam nods slightly, brushing his tears away and collecting himself. "Of course he does. Dad would never want me dead, and even if he tried, Dean would never let him."

"Exactly." Dakota nods encouragingly. "Dean wouldn't see you dead. Ever."

"Thanks, Kota." Sam smiles awkwardly, reaching his other hand over to take Dakota's. "You have been amazing to me. I don't know what I ever did to deserve someone so perfect."

"Oh, I assure you, Samantha. I am far from perfect." Dakota smirks, earning a chuckle from her boyfriend. 

"Not the way I see you." Sam explains softly. "I see you as an Angel. You're perfect to me, Dakota Quinn. Best thing to ever happen to me. Except of course Dean, he always comes first."

Dakota laughs slightly. "Wow. Trust Sam to ruin a wonderful compliment by comparing his love for me to his love for his brother."

"Eh, sorry." Sam shrugs, sending her a wink. "Couldn't help it. Though, I have never wanted to do this with my brother." He leans across the table and presses their lips together, letting the kiss last a few seconds before they both pull away.

"Well I'm glad." Dakota giggles. "Now that would be too far. Kissing your brother."

"Yeah, I've never been one for incest." Sam shakes his head, a teasing glint in his eyes. 

"Nah, just doesn't sit right with me." Dakota agrees immediately before they both start laughing. 

Their laughter is soon interrupted though, by a loud crash of the door being forced open, and an angry shout.

"Samuel Winchester! What on Earth are you doing here?"

"Dad?!"