28.

flagstaff | chapter twenty eight

"Dad? I should be asking you the same question!" Sam growls angrily, standing from his chair and facing the man immediately

"Dad? I should be asking you the same question!" Sam growls angrily, standing from his chair and facing the man immediately. Dakota soon stands too, moving towards Sam.

"You have the nerve to backtalk when you're the one who ran away?" John asks, anger clear in his voice. "You have had Dean worried sick! He has barely been eating, Sam! And not to mention he almost messed up on a Hunt the other day because of how worried he's been!"

"That is not my fault and you know it!" Sam shouts, stepping towards his Father so they're stood toe-to-toe. 

"Of course it's your damn fault, Sam! He can barely focus because he's worried about your sorry ass!" John yells back, glaring down at his son. 

"Well maybe you should've thought of that before you treated me like crap!" Sam retorts, pointing threateningly at his chest. "Maybe you should've thought about that before you treated your sons as soldiers!"

"I have taught you to protect yourselves!" John points out.

"Oh, then you should have no problem leaving me the Hell alone!" Sam snaps. "There's the door, now use it!" He points towards the door that was kicked open. 

"I am going nowhere without you." John states, grabbing Sam's arm. 

"Get off me!" Sam shouts, pulling his arm away roughly. 

"Guys! Stop fighting!" Dakota pleads, tears in her eyes. "Please!"

"Oh, God, Kota." Sam's eyes widen as he turns to look at the girl, taking her into his arms. "I am so sorry."

"Who the Hell is this?" John asks.

"My girlfriend, Dakota." Sam growls, glaring at the man. "And she is none of your damn business, Dad."

"Get your stuff, Sam." John forces out, trying to keep calm. "Get your stuff and get in the damn car. You can't afford to have a girlfriend, she'll either get killed because you can't save her, or she'll get you killed because you're distracted."

"No." Sam states, standing his ground. 

"Samuel Winchester, you will get your stuff and get in the car now!" John shouts. "I am your Father and you will listen to me. Go. Now."

Sam shakes his head in defiance. "Not happening."

John glares at his son and walks storms towards the bedroom, soon coming out with his sons bag. He grabs Sam's arm and drags him towards the door.

"No!" Dakota cries out running after them as Sam fights against his Father. "Please, Mr Winchester! Don't make him go back to a life he hates."

"He needs to be with his family, Miss Quinn." John says, glaring slightly, though Dakota is sure she can see a hint of regret in his eyes. "You would do well to go back to yours too. They're probably worried sick."

Dakota nods, despite herself. "If you're going to make him leave, can we at least say goodbye?" She asks, eyes wide and shining with tears.

John sighs and nods, letting go of Sam's arm and walking off to stand aside while the couple say goodbye. 

"I don't want to go, Kota." Sam whispers, voice breaking  slightly. "I want to stay with you. I wanted to build a life with you."

"I don't want you to go either, Sammy. But your family clearly misses you." Dakota points out. "I will see you again. I know I will. Whether it be in this life or the next, or even in a thousand lives. We will see each other again."

"Dakota, I want you to promise me that you'll go back home. Be strong, face those dicks and reunite with your family. You deserve to be happy." Sam pleads. "And if you ever meet a guy, get married and have kids. Have a life, Kota. You deserve it."

"I promise." She nods, tears falling from her eyes as she rams into Sam's body, wrapping her arms around his torso as tightly as she can, feeling Sam wrap his own arms around her. 

"I love you, Kota." He whispers, she feels tears fall onto the top of her head. "I love you so damn much. I always will."

Dakota nods against his chest, tears wetting his shirt. "I love you too, Sammy. I love you too."

Dakota tilts her head up and presses her lips to Sam's in one last kiss. She tastes the salty tear drops on his lips, and he tastes the ones on hers. The kiss is full of unsaid words, passion, love and heartbreak. 

"I will never forget you, Dakota Quinn."

"And I will never forget you, Sam Winchester."

John walks back over, eyes hard and gras his son's arm. "Come on, Sam." He says, dragging him towards the car. 

"Bye, Blondie." Sam calls behind him as he gets into the Impala.

"Goodbye, Samantha." Dakota calls back. Soon enough, the Impala speeds off and out of sight and Dakota breaks down to the floor sobbing. "Goodbye, Sammy. I love you." She whispers to herself.

I love you too, Kota.