Chapter Six

My mother always said that things happen for a reason. But if that was the case than Victor had a right to kill my parents and try to kidnap me to steal my powers. If that was the case, then there's a reason for my mother's mate. I don't understand it. Peace isn't a hard concept. But we can't seem to keep it. No matter how hard we try, it always slips from our fingertips leaving the world in chaos.

I never forgot what my mother said even though it was a couple of weeks ago. It was always in the back of my head. It kept me wondering constantly. What did she mean? Who was the person that would try to break my walls? I hated this unfamiliar feeling. It distracted me and irritated me.

I started school five days ago, and I was deemed as the freak almost instantly. But it wasn't from freak floods or freak fires. No, I had better control over my powers. It was the fact that school comes easily. I went to a prestigious academy before this, and it showed. I already learned the things that they were teaching in advanced math. Anatomy, I learned previously. Music was a piece of cake. However, I never complained. I thought of it as a reminder. The other kids didn't know this. I was already asked to tutor a kid in my class.

I eat my lunch in the library reading or studying anatomy flashcards — the lonely duckling that I was. The whispers were the worse — the wolves' whispering, saying stuff about my mom, how she was a social outcast like I was. I pretended not to hear them. The only people who treated me like an average person was the teachers. One teacher Mr. Brunnar, my history teacher.

"Studying again, Miss. White," Mr. Brunner said sitting across from me in the library.

"You know it," I said.

"Ah. Kids can be cruel to people who don't fit their criteria. They were with your mother as well. Did you know that I taught as well? She passed her brains to you as well. It was a great loss when she ran. I hoped she went to college," he said.

"Yeah, got her degree history," I said. "She was a caretaker for the local museum. She wanted to go and get her teaching license, but she had me."

"She would have made an excellent teacher. I hope you have plans for college."

"Been a goal of mine since I was a little girl," I said. "I planned on going to medical school with the money my parents gave me."

"Your aunt would gladly help you pay as well."

"I know, but that's her money, and I hardly know her enough to ask for such a favor."

"Ah, just like your mother. Too considerate for your good. Well, I better be off, have a great rest of your day Miss. White," he said getting up.

"Thanks, you too."

I was walking home from school when a car came to my side. Me having a terrible childhood thought the worst. Luckily, it was only my cousin, but I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Hey long lost cousin, want a ride," Oliver said.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said tightly.

"Oh, come on, we don't bite. Well unless it involves our mate than that's a different story," he tried to persuade me. Keyword in that sentence is tried.

"If there is a 'we' in that car. Then the answer is most definitely no."

"Oh, come on, it's only the alpha. Besides, you need to meet him. You are his mat- OW. What was that for," he exclaimed.

"Were you about to say, mate," I said petrified.

"What, no. Well, I was about to but not in that way. I meant in the oh... friend way. Yeah, that's believable," he rambled. "Ow. Again, what was that for Kia."

"So, there are other people in that car. I know the alpha isn't named Kai," I said starting to walk again.

"Okay there is one other person, but that's it. Please. Don't make me use the puppy eyes."

"More like wolf eyes," I mumbled.

"That was uncalled for."

"Will you stop bothering me if I do get in," I finally caved when he started following me say please continuously.

"Yep," he said.

"Fine. But not one sound out of you," I said. "Unless it's to one of your fellow dogs."

"Okay that was really uncalled for," he said. "We are not dogs. We're wolves." He puffed out his chest at the end of his sentence.

"Same difference," I stated, getting in.

Well, this will be fun.

Hoped you enjoyed Mr. Brunner Percy Jackson fans. And I'm sick so go me!