Chapter 9 - Box of Pranks

--Connor--

"Hurry!" Riley kept saying. We managed to get him out of the forest, and we are carrying him by the arms back to the hotel. His frozen legs left a long trail on the wet soil as we dragged him away.

"Why are you in a hurry? Do you wanna be seen with frozen legs? By everyone?!" Toby snapped as he wiped his sweat away.

"You know dude, for a guy who's always working out, you're heavy. Really heavy."

"My muscles are heavy."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure, Ri. Keep dreaming."

We finally stopped and not-so-gently put Riley down when we got to the trees near the hotel.

"Okay, so what now?"

 "I have an idea!" Toby exclaimed. I could imagine a light bulb on top of his head.

 "Why do I have a bad feeling about this?" Riley said.

 Toby rolled his eyes and said, "Whatever, Riley." Then he grinned evilly. Uh-oh. He then walked into the hotel.

"What do you think he's planning to do?" I asked.

"Something evil." Riley sighed.

I observed my surroundings. That's weird.. There's not really much people around. Many, but less than usual. The streets here are often full at  night, but not tonight. Aren't nights supposed to be filled with parties and stuff?

"Why are there few people around?" I asked.

"It's almost Valentine's Day," Riley said bitterly. "They're all on dates."

"Oh."

And now that I think about it, it's been so long since I actually had a valentine on Valentine's Day. I was always busy with my music.. I guess I never really think of it anymore.

All these thoughts suddenly brought back the face of a girl I really, really miss.

Megan.

I guess we weren't really meant to be, I accept that, but it's kind of hard to forget everything we've been through. We both moved on already, but I can't say I don't miss her.

"Well dang, who died?" Toby's voice suddenly came out of nowhere. I whipped my head around to face him.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't know. I turn around to get this," he held up a huge box. "And then I come back to see my brothers with sad faces.. Like their little brother died."

I looked at Riley, raising an eyebrow, but he just looked the other way and said, "What's the box for? Are you going to stuff me in it and take me back inside?"

Toby grinned. "Gee, big brother, I didn't know you could read minds."

My eyes widened. "Toby, are you--"

"WHAT?! No! I was just kidding, idiot! I don't even fit in that box!" Riley cut me off.

"Yeah, Toby. This is crazy!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, c'mon!" Toby sighed. "It's a great idea!"

"No it's not!" Riley shot back.

"Guys stop." I tried, but of course, they won't listen.

"I am not going in there! I'm claustrophobic!"

"No you're not."

"I am if I want to be."

"Well, technically, you're not! You can't be claustrophobic just because you want to!" Toby retorted.

"I can be anyone I want!"