Jason (3)

Jason's P.O.V

I sat in class as I waited for Summer to arrive, once she was in sight I quickly fixed my posture and she sat beside me as i cleared my throat. "Oh hey" Summer smiled "hi" I said. "Did you have fun yesterday?" I asked as she nodded "yeah.. I had a good time" she said with a grin "um.. can we talk later? Maybe during lunch?" "Uh yeah" I said "Jason McCann" a man said and I looked up to see my Marine recruiter standing by the doorway, I walked towards him and we stepped out in the hall as everyone began rushing into class.

"I've noticed that you graduate in a couple months" "yeah just two more" I said, "I just wanted to remind you that after you graduate you will be leaving to basic training in a month so you have time to spend with your family and friends" "okay sir, thank you" I said as he nodded "we look forward to having you there" he smiled and I grinned as I walked back into class.

💖

"You're still going to the marines?" Summer said as I nodded "yeah.. why?" "It's just that.. I'm confused Jason, do you like me?" "Of course I do.. why do you think I set up that date?" I had rented a boat for us to eat in and it was amazing, we even shared a kiss and everything had went as hoped. "Then why do you want to join the marines? You'll be away to basic training for months!" Summer said as I frowned.

"I want to do this Summer, we can still be together when I come back" "what if you've moved on?" Summer said as I shook my head "that won't happen" I said. "I need to be sure.. show me!" Summer said as I began to stutter "u-uh a ring! A promise ring! Or even better.. an engagement ring!" I said as Summer's eyes widened "really?" "Yeah.. Summer, I want to be with you forever" I said as I held her hands and she smiled softly as she looked into my eyes "okay.. yes" she said.

"Great! Let's pick out a ring! After school" I said as Summer squealed in excitement "can't wait" she smiled.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Justin shouted as we stood in the bathroom, "what? I love her!" I said as Justin's eyes widened. Derek is at his competition so I'm stuck with Justin. "Are you going to tell mom?!" "Yes! And we're going to tell her parents too.. they love me, we're going to pick out a ring after school" I smiled as Justin just stared at me still in shock.

"Are you sure Jason? Are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with Sophie?" Justin said and I froze at the name.

Sophie was the love of my life, my mom and my brothers loved her and she always helped me with school and stayed over at my place, until I had to go to camp for a week. While I was away I had found out she died in a car accident by a drunk driver, I had a breakdown and my mom picked me up early. I was drinking and doing drugs but then I got help and I don't drink as much as I used to anymore or do any drugs.

But I've changed, I used to be a happy and bright kid and now I'm quiet and prefer to be on my own. I was so afraid of getting close to Summer at first but after meeting her parents and spending time with her, i realize I may like her a lot and I want to be with her for a very long time. I won't let her get away like Sophie.

"Well if you're so sure.. can I come to pick out the ring? I'll do it for Derek" Justin said and I nodded "yeah" I said. We weren't very close but I could tell he was trying and I appreciated it. I was finally starting to feel better since Sophie.

Summer truly did make me happy.

After school, I stopped by my house to get money. I gathered all the money that my dad had sent me over the years and from my savings then went back to the car where Summer and Justin waited, "Let's go look at rings at the mall" I said as Summer nodded excitingly.

Once we had arrived to the jewelry section of the mall, the sales woman pulled out a case of rings in my price range and Summers eyes brightened "aww these are so pretty!" she smiled as she tried on one of the rings and Justin watched and leaned towards me "how much do you have?" "I took some money out of my savings" I said as his eyes widened "the one that Dad made for us?" he said and I ignored him as Summer turned to me "This one is beautiful" she said as she held a ring that really stood out. "Indeed it is" I said as she kissed me.

"When are you going to tell mom?" Justin asked as we were sat in the food court. "I'll tell her when we get home" I said as Justin sighed "okay and for the last time, are you sure?" "and for the last time yes! She's the one Justin, I know it" I said as he rolled his eyes "fine" he said.

"Now you tell mom to wait in the living room so Summer and I can prepare to tell her" I said as I pulled up towards the driveway, Justin got out of the car as Summer and I sat together "this is all happening so fast" Summer said as I nodded "yeah.. it is" I said as she smiled "Are you ready?" I said.

"What if she doesn't like me?" Summer frowned, "don't worry she will" I said and kissed her cheek. Summer nodded and we both stepped out of the car, ready to tell my mother.