Secret

Three days later...

It's been awhile since I've been here but I have to find out what's happening with this place. I build up as much courage as I can and knock on the door. About 5 seconds go by before a man answers the door with no shirt on and he looks a mixture of tired and annoyed. We look at each other for a while before he speaks.

"Can I help you?" he asks. Of course he doesn't know who I am or what I look like.

"Is Cynthia there? I need to talk to her" I tell the man who is getting visibly more annoyed the more I'm still in his eyesight. 

"Cynthia! I think your ex is here to speak with you!" the man shouts behind the door. As he does, I notice my jackets and shoes that I left still there, beside the man. At least she didn't throw them out in frustration or revenge. 

"Send him through, Nathan?" I hear Cynthia shout back from the bedroom. Nathan, so this is the guy, huh?

"You heard the woman" he says, opening the door for me to enter. I find the apartment is filled with that iconic marijuana smell and the living room is filled with trash, such as empty beer and soda cans, unfinished bags of crisps and bongs left and right, most of which I don't even recognise, they're probably Nathan's. I turn left and head down the shitty little hallway to the end and enter the bedroom where I see Cynthia wrapped up in the bed sheets, covering her nude body, "Hi Paul" I nod my head at her, "Nathan, could you give us some privacy,  please" she asks her boyfriend, who I didn't even hear follow me through to here. 

"Sure" he says, lightly smiling. To be honest, he didn't seem like a bad guy, cheating on me was probably the worst thing this guy had done in his life.

"So, you still a pothead?" I ask Cynthia after Nathan had left and audibly walked down the hall away from us.

"What is it, Paul?" she asked, still slightly tired from probably just waking up, even though it was 3 in the afternoon. 

"I'm just wondering what the plan is with this place, do you live here now or?" I ask.

"I mean, do you have a place to stay?" Cynthia asks me in return.

"I'm staying at George's right now, he doesn't seem to mind so, if you want, I can just get out of your hair for good" I tell her, putting my hands in my jean pockets and leaning against the bedroom wall. 

"If that's what you want to do, you can just pack up your stuff. It's probably better than staying on the couch and living with your ex and her boyfriend" she brings up a good point.

"Leaving is probably the best idea then" I agree with her, "I can call George and he can come help me load the stuff into my car, clothes and all that stuff. This is actually George's stuff I'm wearing so." 

"Yeah, Nathan can help too if you want?" she offers.

"Um, we'll see how we handle and what we have to take" I tell her, "you better get dressed then"

"Yeah" she says as I leave.

----------------------------------------------------

"That's everything, then?" asks George as he loads the last box into the back of the car. 

"I think so" I tell him, "thanks for the help, Nathan" 

"No problem, man and sorry about everything, you know" he apologises.

"It's all done with now" I respond, "I wish you both the best"

"Thanks, dude, see ya" he says, before turning round and entering the apartment block again.