Not Coming Home

I began my climb up the short hill....hill. I remember when Hayley and I lay on that hill, when she asked to be my girlfriend. 

I climbed to the top and spotted a bunch of junk people at left up here, in it all a mattress lay, like that time Hayley and I sat in her bunk, the first time we ever really talked about each other and got to know each other. 

In front of me, I found a chain fence about 10 feet tall. I looked around, how was I getting over this damned fence. I looked around and saw a hole, someone had previously cut the chains and let themselves in. I looked back at the lake, where I could have died preventing this past month happening, then I had my best friend and Hayley realise where I had went wrong and why life was actually worth living. Turns out, the people you could trust most could turn around and stab you in the back with a jackass called Chad. 

I slipped through the decently sized hole in the fence and looked at the train tracks in front of me, two of them. One going one way and the other going the opposite way. 

You've got to roll with it, you've got to take your time. 

Damn it, phone. Why must you ring now? It's George, of course. I decide on answering it.

"Hello, George" I say when I answer.

"Paul, please come home"

"No, I'm never coming back home, George" I realise how I wasn't even scared of doing this, I wasn't even crying anymore, I didn't feel upset.

"Don't speak like that, Paul. Just come on back, we can work through this, like last time, remember?"

"And get my hopes up only to get my heart broken again?" 

"Come on, P-Paul" George was crying at this point, he could hear the sincerity in my voice and how sure I was. 

"George, there's no point in crying. Not much will change with me gone, you'll go back to Scotland and continue your life like you should, not having to tend to my problems every damn second, every time I screw up or do something wrong, you won't have to try and make me feel better and cheer me up, this is for the best."

"God, please Paul. Come home! I love you, buddy. Don't do this" George begged through the phone. At this point, I was crying now too, this could be the last time I speak to my best friend, my brother. 

"George, it's just something I've got to do"

"I'm almost there, don't you dare do anything!" he says, of course he would be on his way. 

"Georg-"

"PAUL" I hear a voice behind me, decently far away, there I see George sprinting around the lake with all his might. At this point, I look to my left and see a train approaching, it's a fair distance away but in about 20 seconds it will go past. 

"PAUL" I step onto the tracks, waiting for my demise.

"FUCKING HILL! PAUL" George was almost here now, I wonder if he'll find the hole in time. I spread out my arms and close my eyes awaiting the impact. 

"NOOOOO" I hear to my left as I go flying. Not the way I thought I would though, I opened my eyes and found myself staring at the sky, the train going by. I look down and find myself lying on the ground next to the track. I look around for George, and find him lying about 5 feet away from me, not moving. I manage to crawl over and shake him in an attempt to wake him up.

"George?" I ask as I turn him over so I can see his face. He looks up at me. 

"You're alright" he said as the colour was draining from his face. 

"George, I'm so sorry" 

"Nah, it's fine" he managed to croak out, "I think the train clipped me as I was shoving you out the way" he was starting to close his eyes now.

"George, don't close your eyes please!" 

"Paul, I" he coughs weakly, "At least I won't have to put up with your shit anymore" he smiles to himself.

"Don't say that, George. This is all my fault!"

"Paul, we all have a purpose on this Earth, my purpose was to keep you in line, it seems"

"How will you, if you go?" a tear hits his chest, one of mine. 

"Paul, just promise me, you'll keep going, no matter what. Okay, buddy?" he says, closing his eyes.

 "George?" I shake him. Nothing. I put my head to his chest. Nothing, "No, please" I cry. I pick him up and hug him, my brother was gone, and all because of my stupid outrage. It didn't matter if I had killed myself or not, it still would have led him to pain and suffering, "Oh God, George, I won't give up, I'll never give up" I cry into his shoulder. 

It was George who was not coming home...