━━ eleven

────────────

( the meeting )

( the meeting )

────────────

────────────

━━ Mila kept smiling through the whole Defense class. Every time she caught Lupin's eye, she became excited at the prospect of him being her guardian.

Transfiguration was less fun, only because McGonagall was the only one left who she suspected knew about her past. But she had learned her lesson, and this time, she was simply going to ask.

She waited until the class ended and the rest of the students had left. McGonagall didn't seem surprised when she saw Mila was staying back, and Mila didn't know if that was a good sign or not.

"Well, Miss Lovett, this is certainly a change. I thought you were avoiding me."

She wouldn't say she was avoiding McGonagall, but over the past few weeks, she had stopped answering questions in class, and worked silently unless called upon. She had been a little cold, now that she thought about it.

Mila gave a sheepish smile, "I had some ... concerns."

"Pray tell, what are they? They must be good, you haven't shown off in my class since the term started."

"I thought you didn't like it when I did that?" Mila asked.

"On the contrary, it's been a rather nice change, but one does notice the absence of your ... spirited nature."

Mila shuffled her feet, "The last time I was here,, I asked you if you knew something I didn't. You said no. I know you wouldn't lie to me, Miss, not if there wasn't a good reason, but I'm either being overly dramatic again or there is something you're not telling me."

She didn't notice, but McGonagall had a look of panic in her eyes. Mila read it as concern ( luckily for the professor ), and kept going.

"I'm just going to come out and say it."

McGonagall pursed her lips and nodded.

"There doesn't happen to be a secret lineage you're not telling me about, does there?" Mila asked, a bit too lightheartedly. She had a habit of doing that when she was nervous.

McGonagall's eye's widened in true surprise, "What are you talking about?"

On any other day, Mila would have thought the world was ending if McGonagall had a shocked expression. Instead, it made her more happy than she could say.