━━ thirty six

────────────

( the interruption )

────────────

────────────

━━ James and Mila had been tying round for round in Exploding Snap all afternoon. With the summer's scorching temperatures getting the best of them, it was the only thing they could think of doing which wouldn't require too much exertion. However, their equal competitiveness did nothing to dispel the heat as both worked up a sweat in arguments.

"Ugh, won't you just give up already?" James insisted, once Mila proclaimed there would be another round after his latest win.

"Says you! You could have stopped three rounds ago when I asked!"

"You mean when you were ahead? Yeah, you would have liked that, wouldn't you?"

Each glared at each other in animosity, clenching their cards tightly and refusing to be the first to break.

Euphemia entered the kitchen, watching the pair fondly as they argued over the rules. Having Mila live with them had turned into one of the great blessings of her family's life. Euphemia doted on her like a mother would a daughter, and considered her as such. Though Euphemia sometimes suspected that James' affection for her was not that of a brother, it was hard to imagine them as anything other than siblings when the pair bickered so passionately over inconsequential matters.

"James," Euphemia chided, "If this is the way you talk to women, I'm not surprised you haven't gotten a girlfriend yet."

Mila's laughter was quick and bountiful.

James at least had the decency to look embarrassed, "Mila doesn't count as a woman."

Mila struck him roughly on the arm, "Hey! Just because Evans won't give you the time of day doesn't mean you have to take it out on me. Besides, I'm all woman. Right, Missus Potter?"

Euphemia chuckled at the girl's shamelessness, and couldn't resist a chance to tease her son,  "You certainly have blossomed over the summer. Hasn't she, James?"

James' cheeks tinged pink, though he tried to put up a nonchalant front, "Yeah, yeah. At least she'd modest about it."

"That's rich coming from someone who spent the summer flexing his arms in front of the bathroom mirror to see which position made his muscles look bigger," Mila said.