The Nighmares

Who am I kissing?!

I feel as if I've waited for this moment since high school. It should be the most magical thing I've ever experienced, but it's not. My heart isn't fluttering like it should, and the moment is ruined. I gently pull away from Parker, my suspicions of him increasing by the second.

"Hey, Park," I look up at him. "I made some really good spaghetti the other night if you want to come in and try it?"

This is it. My test to see if you're genuinely Parker.

He looks at me, his hair ruffled and his lips puffy. Come on. You've got to be Parker. You've got to be.

"Sure!" He answers cheerfully, smiling and holding each of my hands. "I'd love to eat anything you make!"

My eyes widen and I shove him off of me. He looks taken aback for a second, and I glare at him.

"No you wouldn't!" I snap. "You know you can't eat spaghetti! You're allergic to tomatoes! You're not Parker, and I know you aren't!"

He stares at me, his expression unrecognizable. "I'm sorry, Stella."

I watch as the unfamilair dark blue of his irises is replaced with the brighter, bolder blue, the blue that I'm used to seeing in his eyes. Chase emerges out of Parker's body, and I feel my heart clench.

I'm shocked and furious, but mostly, I'm sad. I'm hurt that Chase would pretend to be Parker and lead me on. He knows how much I like him, so why would he hurt me like this?

My gaze trails from Chase to Parker, who is now coming out of his dazed state."

"Stella?" He asks, his eyes adjusting. "What am I doing here?"

I repress my tears as I try not to look at him. "I don't know, maybe you were checking out crime scenes or something?"

He scratches the back of his neck, placing his other hand on his hip. "I don't really know? I don't remember coming here," He checks his watch on his wrist, his eyes widening. "Oh gosh! Hey, I'm sorry Stella, but I've got to go! Vanessa is waiting on me! See you!"

As he says her name, I feel my shoulders drop. I knew that something was suspicious about him wanting to randomly go on a date with me. He had been trying to date Vanessa for about a year.

I plaster a fake smile on my face as I wave at him. As I turn to walk in my door, I give Chase a look of disapproval.

I rush through my door, closing it and locking it. I pace the floor of my living room, my anger beginning to show through. I suddenly feel a tear slip out of my eye, but I wipe it off with the end of my sleeve.

Chase soon comes through the door, his head down looking ashamed.

"Why would you do that?!" I snap. "Why would you pretend to be Parker?!"

"I'm sorry!" He pleads. "I just saw how upset you were when he said he was going on a date..." His voice trails off towards the end.

"That doesn't mean to pretend you're him and lead me on!" My voice cracks, and I hate it for doing so.

"I didn't mean to lead you on," He shakes his head, his voice soft. "I just wanted to see you happy."

"I was happy!" I wail. "As long as he's happy, I'm happy!"

"You didn't look happy!" He takes a step closer to me, but I back up. "Are you happy that the guy you're in love with likes some other girl?"

I feel another tear slip out.

"Stupid ghost," I mumble, my hands balling into fists.

"Huh?" He asks. "What did you say?"

"I said you're a stupid ghost!" I bark. "You always butt into my business! You always cause some kind of trouble for me and I'm sick of it! I wish you'd just-" I stop myself, unsure of whether I should finish my sentence.

"I wish you'd just die!" My fingernails dig into my palms, and my eyes stinging from my tears that are welling up.

His face drops all emotion.

Oh no. I went too far.

"You want me out of your hair?" He asks, his voice monotoned. "Fine, I'll leave then. I'll just die."

"Chase-" I try to stop him as he begins to walk through the door. "I'm sorry! I was upset!"

I can feel more gentle tears drop onto my cheeks. "I didn't mean it, please listen to me," I attempt to grab his hand, but my fingers slip right through his.

He leaves, and I drop to my knees. I sink into the floor, the guilt taking over me. "I'm sorry..." I mumble to myself. "You know I didn't mean it."

I feel Muffin crawl her way into my lap, and I stroke her fur. "You know I didn't mean it, right?" I ask, sniffing.

She tilts her head to the side in a questioning manner, twitching her nose when a tear drops on it. 

"He'll be back, won't he?" I stare at the door.

There's a sudden loud knocking on the door, and my eyes light up.

"Stephanie! I don't know what book character just died, but you need to stop your needless shouting!" Becky from next door yells outside.

I narrow my eyes. "Shut up old hag! I'm not in the mood for your shit tonight!" I bark out at her, momentarily startling Muffin. "And my cat isn't loud! She's a damn angel!"

I can imagine her huffing and marching back into her apartment.

I wonder where Chase went? I know I hurt his feelings and that I was harsh. He needs to know that I'm truely sorry.

Now with my exams over, I can finally focus my attention on bringing him back to life. I stand up from the floor and wipe my tears, my stance determined. What better way to prove that I'm sorry by fixing him?

"It doesn't matter whether he's here or not! It's time to get to work!"

A/N

I hope that she can fix him! Always remember to vote and give comments! I adore every read that I receive and it makes me want to continue writing!

-Hannah