Part 12

Once the sobs turn to hiccups, the arms and bodies disappear. A blanket drapes around my shoulders and I'm alone in a bustle of activity. My emotions are spent. Physically every part of me tingles in a wave of cathartic release. Internally, there's an odd quiet I've not felt in far too long. I work to even out my breath.

A firm hand clasps my shoulder. I look up into Evan's eye. There's a sea of confusion, frustration and concern etched on his face. Without thought, I lay my hand over this and give it a gentle squeeze. He returns the gesture and holds out a glass of water.

"I thought you might be thirsty." He states quietly.

"Thank you."

His head bobs once and he pulls his hand free of mine, turns, and walks out of the box.

With deliberation, I take slow sips of the water, amazed at how wonderful it glides across my tongue and down my throat. The world around me is a dream, real but in a ghostly shifted perspective. Both attached to my body and separated from it.

Booted feet walk next to me and I'm once again forced to look up.

"Feeling better?" Garrett's voice is full of command, laced with concern.

"I am. Thank you, Sir."

"Don't thank me yet. There are miles to go before we rest. You are still deep in the wilderness Tess."

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?" I reply, quoting the beginning dialogue from my favorite book.

"That depends a good deal on where you want to go." Garrett retorts, a slight grin playing at the edge of his mouth.

"I don't much care where."

"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go, I suppose." He continues the dialogue.

"I just want to get somewhere!"

"Oh, you're sure to do that, if you only walk long enough through the forest- but I'd be careful of careless moves, my dear."

"Couriouser and couriouser!"

"Indeed." Garrett states. "Drink this."

He hands me a cup emboldened with Drink Me! on what looks like a scroll of paper. The sight makes realize the conversation is a common household set. Without reservation, I tip the cup back and take a large gulp of the substance. Instant regret slams into me as I gag, forcing the semiliquid down my throat.

"All of it."

"I can't."

"I wasn't asking," Garrett's tone is stern. In response I tip the cup back and work the substance through my mouth.

"You are not taking in enough nutrition due to several factors. This ensures your body is well taken care of and capable for the tasks before you."

"The question is what is in front of me." I reply quietly.

"No, the question is who is to be Master- that is all."

I tip the disgusting liquid back and force the final concoction down and grab the glass of water. Beside me Garrett watches in silence until I'm finished. He bends down, kisses me on the cheek and retrieves the empty cup.

"Who are you?" He asks softly.

"I hardly know, at this moment, at least I know who I WAS when I last awoke in my own bed, but I think I must have changed several times since then."

"Then we should try to help you find out who you are again." There is no question in his voice, it is a statement of fact.

With that, he turns and walks out the door. Outside the box there's a bustle of activity. Things scrape against the floor. Inaudible commands given with a rapid, "Yes, Sir" from Evan. In here I can see nothing, but they leave the door open enough to allow me to hear the outside world. Uncertainty churns in my stomach.

Evan walks through the door. He is dressed in a pair of dress pants and a white button-down shirt. In direct juxtaposition, his feet are bare and the shirt is fully unbuttoned. Something in me stirs. In front of me is a beautiful man, full of confidence and uncertainty. My heartbeats fast when he pulls himself to full attention.

"It's time." He stands in front of me at full attention and reaches out his hand to capture mine, to help me stand.

The words ring hallow and spawn a thousand questions. Time for what? What time is it? For that matter, what day is it?

"What happens now?"

"This way please Ma'am. Everything will become clear or it will all shatter." He whispers. "It is time."