Chapter One:

Paul had been on guard duty all night at Bella's house. He wasn't supposed to let her know he was there, and he was content to stay lurking around the trees just past her house. She was in love with one of the cold ones, the leeches. He'd run off and abandoned her, but that didn't mean that her leech enemies had also left.

The girl cold one, the one with the long red hair, he'd forgotten her name, and it took a minute for it to come back to him. Victoria, that was it. She was still around, waiting for a moment to attack Bella.

For whatever reason, Jacob had convinced Sam that Bella needed protection, and after Jacob's many long days and nights of guarding her himself, Sam agreed. Now Paul was here, being punished by having to watch her house, in the middle of the drizzly forest, and he hated it. Part of him didn't mind, he was attracted to her, and he wanted her, but he hated the way she made him feel.

Her lights had gone off, and he sat back, hoping that the night was uneventful so that he could go home and crash, and then ream Jacob out tomorrow for subjecting him to this.

However, just less than a moment later, the front door creaked open, and one of Paul's ears raised, listening. He sniffed the air, and stood up, backing up a little to keep himself hidden.

Bella crept out of the front door, and locked it. She pulled her hood up over her head, drizzle falling on the shoulders of her sweater. Looking around nervously, she headed off towards the woods where Paul was hiding. She was oblivious to him being there, and he let her get a little bit ahead before he started to follow her.

Fucking incredible, he complained internally, and it was less than a moment later when Sam replied to him.

Do you need help? Is Victoria there?

Paul heaved a sigh. Wouldn't it be nice if the ginger blood sucker appeared, and killed Bella? His problems would be over.

Nah. He answered back. Everything's fine. The leech lover just came outside briefly.

He lied, but he hoped Sam wouldn't question him about it. He couldn't lie to direct questions from the alpha. Sam believed him, and left it alone, and Paul continued padding through the forest after Bella. He stepped on a twig, and it made a low snapping sound, and he froze. She turned her head, freezing in her spot, but after a moment continued on.

He continued following her, until they arrived at a clearing. The moon cast some light down on the field, and Bella just stood there, absorbing the moonlight. Paul watched her in silence for a few moments. He wanted her, but it was hard for him to admit it. He hated her, but he also desired her, with a lust that he couldn't explain.

She stood there, moonlight radiating off her pale face, and he moved a little, out of the woods, watching her, hungry. His nose poked out of the forest, and he stepped forward some more, watching her. He stepped on a twig, and she spun around, seeing him for the first time.

"Jake!" She called, raising a hand to her chest. "You scared me-".

He laughed a little internally that she thought he was Jake. Could she not tell them apart? Probably not, because she spent all of her time pining over dead blood suckers. His fur was a very different colour than Jake's was, and Jake was much broader. Paul was slim, and tightly coiled.

She walked toward him, and he stood stock still, breathing in her powerful floral smell. She headed over, distracted from her memories in the field, and stood next to him. Bella ran a hand over the fur on his neck, her soft hand stroking him gently. "How did you find me, Jake?"