Chapter Twelve:

Bella decided to go and visit Jacob. She hadn't seen him in quite some time, and though he and Paul had a falling out, she felt it was important to stay on good terms. Jacob didn't live far away, so it was even more upsetting they hadn't been talking. At one point, Jacob had been her best friend, the only person in the world that she could rely on to confide every secret she had. He'd been there through the worst of the time Edward had been gone. She never wanted things to happen the way they did, she hadn't chosen to imprint on Paul. Something's just couldn't be helped.

She arrived at Jacob's small house soon, and sat parked in his driveway for a few minutes before she worked up enough courage to walk to the door. She knocked, and waited patiently outside, her hair blowing in the warm wind. She brushed a piece that got stuck between her lips as the door opened. Jacob stood on the other side, shirtless, as usual, wearing light khaki shorts. He stood with his hand on one hip, other hand still on the knob.

"I'm not in the mood, Bella-" he told her with an irritated sigh. "I already told Paul that I'm done with the drama. I just want to function in the pack, and not have to think about you-". His expression was pained, and there was a lot of hurt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Jacob-" Bella told him, "I wanted to apologize, and talk to you. I miss seeing you." She sighed, wringing her hands a little. "I want us to be friends again. I love Paul but I also love you-".

Jacob started to close the door.

"Please, Jake! I miss you-" tears began to pool in the corners of her eyes, and Jacob heaved a sigh, he hated seeing her cry. It was a weakness. He swung the door back open. "Fine, Bella. Come in." How could he say no to her?

She followed him inside, and he closed the door for her. "Do you want a drink or something?" He asked, as they walked into the living room area.

"Sure-" Bella told him with a smile, happy he'd let her in. "Water would be okay". The decoration in the trailer home was simple, a couple pictures of antique cards hung the walls, and also a taxidermy fish as decoration. Jacob nodded silently, and padded into the kitchen to get her a glass, returning it, he handed it over, and leaned on the back of the couch, arms crossed.

"I never wanted this to happen". She told him, her voice apologetic. "I feel terrible. I didn't want to hurt you, I promise." Her hand clutched the glass, and she looked at Jacob with sincerity in her face. "You're my best friend, Jacob." She remembered all of the times they'd had together, and how good it felt knowing that she was safe and protected everywhere she went with him.

His stoic face finally unfroze, and he sighed, walking around the couch to finally sit down. "I know you didn't mean to hurt me, Bella. But that doesn't make it hurt less. You broke my heart."

Bella felt a tear leak out of the corner of her eye onto her cheek. "Oh, Jake. I'm so sorry".

Jacob shrugged, "I know you are, Bella. I just-" he sighed, "It's hard being around you, you know? I have feelings for you, you know that, Paul knows that," his face darkened, "The whole pack knows because you can't keep anything private." He raised an eyebrow, "You know that Paul is going to know that you came here, right?" He pressed his back into the couch cushion.

She frowned, "I'm not his property Jacob. I can have friends." Her arms crossed against her shirt, a plaid button up straining over her breasts.

Jacob nodded, "Of course I know you can have friends. You just can't have me as a friend." His face remained impassive. "Paul will kick the crap out of me, and I'm not interested in that, Bella." Jake's mouth pulled into a thin line, and Bella noticed lines in his forehead she'd never seen before.