Chapter nine

Marinette took a step back. Tikki flew into her purse.

"S-Spider-Man?" She stuttered. "You- You followed me?"

"N-no. Well, yes- but not really! I mean- I was coming over here to- to get my bag and then I saw you here and well, I hid. And then you transformed and started talking and well- I thought hey that voice sounds familiar and then I saw you and it's you!" The superhero squeaked.

Marinette took a breath to calm herself. She glanced at the backpack. "So then that's yours?" She gestured.

"Yes." He answered, retrieving the bag before Marinette could read the faded name scrawled on the side. He slung it over his shoulders, still hanging upside down.

"Look, I- I'm sorry that I found out your identity Marin- I mean Ladybug. (What can I call you?) If it really means that much to you, I can show you who I am?-" He started to pull his mask off, but Marinette interrupted him.

"No!" She exclaimed. "I mean, no, don't do that. It- it's not- not- uhm. You know, I'm just going to leave." Marinette took a few steps backwards.

"Tikki, spots on!" She hissed. She leapt onto the building and pulled out her yoyo to swing away.

"Hey!" Spider-man exclaimed. "Where you going?!"

"Away from here! Away from you!" Marinette cried back.

"It's no use hiding!" Spider-man called after her jokingly. "I know where you live!"

Marinette stopped midswing, almost tumbling to the ground. She swung up onto the roof of a building and allowed Spider-man to catch up.

"How on earth do you know where I live?!" She asked. "And how do you even know my name?"

Spider-man narrowed his eyes smugly. "Ahh. Well, you see, I'll have to reveal my identity to tell you." He mused, leaning forward slightly.

"No!" Marinette hissed, narrowing her eyes.

"I- I'm sorry Mar- Ladybug, I really am." He sounded slightly hurt, his attitude completely changing. (almost like someone else was talking to him.) "I just- I feel like I owe you something, since I know your identity and-"

"Does anyone know your identity?"

"Yeah." Spider-man shuffled his feet. "Three(?) people, I guess."

"And do they owe you anything for knowing?" Marinette pressed.

"N- well, Mr Stark gave me the suit afterwards and Aunt M-"

"Don't tell me who they are!" Marinette exclaimed.

"Oh. Yeah. Sorry. Uh. Well-" He scratched the back of his neck with his hand.

"Look. It is just better, and safer if I don't know your identity. I don't know Chat Noir's identity, and he doesn't know mine."

"Chat Noir." Spider-man snorted, jealousy (-or was it pure annoyance?) covering his voice.

Marinette sighed. "Please. Just- just, please just- I'm going home, and you're not going to follow me. And I'm going to sit and think an-" She froze. "Michelle! I- I have to make sure that she's okay!"

Marinette jumped off the building. She glanced around to make sure no one (else) was watching and detransformed. She started to run towards the school.

Spider-Man swung down low next to her. "Need a lift?"

"No." Marinette answered.

Her answer was ignored. An arm slid around her waist and lifted her off the ground.