Chapter Seventeen

"Look uh- I don't- this is random but- I don't want it to seem like I'm stealing, you know?" Peter scratched the back of his neck as Switcheroo narrowed her eyes, focusing on the trucks driving by.

"Huh?"

"Uh well- you know how this isn't something that is official? You know? Like, to a random person they'd think I'm trying to steal the alien thing." Peter explained quietly.

"Oh. Right. Uh-"

"Because I've already had this news reporter breathing down my neck for a really long time back in New York, and I bet if he found out I was doing this here I'd never hear the end of it."

She nodded. "Yeah. Sure. We'll think 'o something." She turned back to studying the vehicles.

"Maybe you can threaten me?"

"What?"

"You know, like, if I get seen, you need to threaten me, y'know? 'Spider-Man if you don't help me out you know what will happen!' Kinda thing. And make sure they all hear it."

"So you want me to play the bad guy if you get caught?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yes- no! I didn't mean that, I meant-"

"No worries. I get what you mean. But if you really wanted to make it look realistic I'd need to actually know the thing I'm threatening you about. It wont be realistic if I'm not actually threatening you. Like, whatabout I find out your identity."

She placed a hand (or was it a paw?) on his shoulder and he jumped.

"I'm just kidding man. Why are you so jumpy?" She grinned, turning back to watching the traffic. "Hey. Aren't you supposed to have that Spider-sense thingy to warn you of threats? Why'd you jump?" She joked.

"You're not a threat." Peter retorted. But something nagged at the back of his mind. He knew when people at school were trying to scare him, but they weren't threats either. Why had he jumped now and not then?

"Not a threat?" She echoed, grinning, "I'm offended!"

/*\*/*\

"There. That truck." Switcheroo pointed specifically to one of the vehicles driving by.

"That one?"

"Yeah, nah. The other heavily armed truck being escorted- yes that truck."

"Sorry." Peter muttered.

She snorted in response. Apparently hearing him.

"You remember the plan?" She asked, referring to the plan they'd been discussing a short while earlier.

"Yep. You're going to remember to threaten me, right?"

"With what?"

"I don't know- think of something. Even a 'you know what will happen' will do, yeah? Didn't we go over this?"

"Nah yeah, I think we did."

"Nah yeah?" Peter echoed. All this 'yeah nah' and 'nah yeah' business is confusing me.

Switcheroo turned around to face him with a slight grin.