Chapter fourteen

"What?!" Peter echoed.

"Your identity." Lila pleaded, "Who's under that mask?"

"Yeah, I know that but- why?"

"I just told you, we could be great friends, unstoppable allies!" She lent closer, tapping the side of his chin, "But you need to remove that mask." Her hand trailed down the side of his neck and she attempted to lift up the mask.

"Yes but- no! I can't!" Peter exclaimed, gently pushing Lila away. "You- you can't take my mask off like that anyway." He tapped the side of his skull with nervous laughter, "I don't know how it works exactly but Mr Stark made it so that only I can collapse it-"

"Tony Stark?"

"Uh- well, yeah, Mr Stark uh- designed- no, what's the word again... uh- created- created this suit for me."

"But why can't you tell me your identity?" Lila repeated, anger growing in her voice.

"Because I just can't!-"

"Why?"

"Because I- I don't know! Ladybug told me not to! She said it can be dangerous and-"

"Ladybug."

"Yeah-"

Lila's face turned from frustration into a scowl. "Of course Ladybug had something to do with this! She ruins everything and sticks her nose in all the places that it doesn't belong!"

"No no! No! You don't understand! She was telling me not to reveal my identity to anyone but she was telling me because I was about to reveal my identity to her!"

"Ah. So now you're telling me that you are willing to reveal your identity to Ladybug but not to me." Lila spat.

"No! It- I- I was only going to do that because I accidentally found out her identity and so-"

"That's still exactly the same thing! I just showed you my- wait." Lila narrowed her eyes, "You found out Ladybug's identity?"

Realising he had probably said too much, Peter climbed up the wall slowly. "Uh, well- uh, I don't know her name." Peter lied, "I just saw her briefly-"

"I told him it wouldn't work, and I was right." Lila murmured shaking her head as her anger fading to a soft smile. "But I've found out something that is still valuable."

"What?" Peter echoed, not entirely hearing her.

"You're right. I was just overreacting. Maybe in time you will trust me, but I understand that I must leave now." She smiled softly and turned away. "Goodbye, Spider-Man."

Confused, Peter watched her leave. I have a bad feeling about her.

/*\*/*\

Peter was walking towards the school, his suit hidden at the bottom of his bag, ready to give to Tony Stark later in the day. He saw movement behind him, Chloe's car. Peter frowned slightly.

"Petey!" Chloe rolled down the window and waved at him. "You walked all the way to school?! Why didn't you ride in the car?"

"I had things to do!" Peter called back, continuing his walk towards the school.

"What things?"

"Don't worry!"

Chloe rolled the window back up without saying a word and Peter smiled, shaking his head in amusement.

/*\*/*\

Peter walked through the entrance of the school, spotting Alya, Marrinete, Michelle and Adrien standing near the back wall. He made his way over to them as he got their attention.