chapter five

I wasn't entirely sure I was ready to hear all these secrets. All the things I didn't know. I just knew I needed too. If this weekend really was about finding out the truth, then knowing was inevitable.

He looked over at me to see if I was still waiting for him to begin. "Like I told you before I am not allowed to go too far into detail. So I will start with us..." he paused. "Yes, we were the best of friends. Since long before we could even walk. From what I can remember and from what my dad has told me, we were completely inseparable. Until that day...." He stopped talking and stood up. He began pacing back and forth.

"Until what day? What happened?" I asked impatiently.

"We started out playing hide and seek. Just as we always did... you were hiding, and I was looking for you. This strange man I had never met before came up to ask for your dad. I went and got him to tell him about the man in the yard. He seemed so worried. He told me to hurry back to you, that we needed to go for a walk...." Once again, he stopped talking.

"What? Why? Did you ever find out who the man was?"

He sighed and continued, "I tried to ask him why and he just shouted for me to go. He warned me to keep you hidden. That this man could not see you. So I did as I was told. I ran as fast as I could back to where you were hiding. I said I wanted to go for a walk in the mountains. You climbed down out of the treehouse where you always hid and off we went. "

He grabbed my hand and pulled me up off of the bench. We began to walk along the lake. Then he continued talking, "We ended up going in too deep. We walked and walked for what seemed like days. We were lost. No matter which way we went we couldn't find our way home. I couldn't remember what I had been taught to find my way if I was ever lost. I was so ashamed. I promised your dad I would keep you safe. I ended up failing everyone...."

Tears began to form in the crevices of his eyes. He knelt down and started throwing rocks into the lake. I bent down behind him wrapping my arms around him in attempt to comfort him. "It's okay." I said "You don't have to tell me anymore. I can wait until the others get here to explain everything."

"No! I want to tell you. I need to talk about it. It's just... I have never talked about any of it. Not to anyone. It's a day everyone has tried as hard as they could to forget. It was the worst day of my family's life."

He wiped a tear from his cheek, sighed and continued where he had left off. "We were lost. I forgot everything. You were the one who helped them find us. You picked up a stick and cut your hand open. Touching every tree we passed to leave a trail. Then you told me we needed to stop walking and stand and wait. You were so brave, so fearless."

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed. "The wolves!"

"We are getting there. Just wait, we stood there for a while and then I heard the howling. Our parents had finally found us. You had saved us by remembering everything he taught you in case we ever got lost."

"I thought it was just a bad dream."

"What? You thought what was a bad dream? I thought you didn't remember anything?" he seemed just as confused as I was at this point.

"I don't remember anything from my childhood. Not you, not that night, nothing. I had a dream last night. The same dream you just explained. A dream that I had seen a vision of, when you grabbed my arm that first day in front of Mrs. Pepperman's office. That is why I was going through the photo albums. I knew I had seen that boy before. Wait so that means...?"

"Yes the wolves in your dream were our parents. Your dad and my mom came to find us that night."

"I don't understand. How can my dad be a wolf? I have known him my entire life."