CHAPTER ONE

On Infernal Ground

~

"I stand before my fellow Shadowhunters, to receive the rune of the Angel." Clary and I spoke in union. "I take this mark to honour Him. To bring His light into me. To join the ranks of the Shadowhunters, the guardians of peace."

Clary and I stood at the front of the hall, both of us facing our designated Silent Brothers who would burn the signature Angelic Rune into our arms.

"This rune of Angelic Power is well-deserved and long overdue." Imogen began to say, making a small smile appear onto my face as the rune was completely burned into my arm before I turned to face the woman. Clary doing the same. "You're both no longer Shadowhunters in training. You both defeated our greatest enemy. Valentine may have used the Mortal Instruments to raise the Angel Raziel, but you both prevented a wish from being granted."

I looked down slightly, my stomach churning as I began to fiddle with my fingers. Clary looked over towards me with a small smile, a smile that only I knew was the one of concern. "Clarissa Fairchild, Remi Gilbert." Imogen chuckled as she used my birth name, making the entire Hall chuckle with her as I scoffed but also sent a smile towards her. "May your heroism be a shining example to Shadowhunters across the world. Congratulations girls."

Everybody clapped as Clary and I turned to face the crowed, our hands intertwining together as we held them up, laughing as the crowd clapped louder before we lowered our hands back down.

Grinning I turned to face Clary "We did it." I exclaimed as the redhead pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. "I know." Clary whispered into her my ear, a wide grin blossoming onto her lips.
.
.
I held onto the bottom of my dress as I walked towards my family. Isabelle smiled warmly as she held her arms out, making me step into them and embrace her tightly.  "Congratulations, Parababe." Izzy exclaimed with happiness as we pulled away, the both of us smiling like idiots.

"How did it feel?" Alec asked as he also pulled me into a hug, kissing the top of my head before we pulled away. "It hurt like a bitch." I chuckled, my eyes gazing down towards the rune before looking back up again "But I will admit, it was amazing, but very embarrassing with all these people around."

"Don't be embarrassed." Isabelle smiled, placing her hands onto her hips "You're the hero of Alicante. You and Clary both went hand in hand against Valentine and killed him. So stop being so modest."

I smirked and nodded my head. "That was a way better prep talk than the one you gave Clary and I when we first arrived."

"Oh shut up." Isabelle chuckled before she sighed and looked around the room "I'm gonna look for mom."

"Okay." I replied while giving my Parabatai one last hug before watching her walk away.

"I'll admit, what you did was impressive." Alec stated, making me turn my gaze back onto him "But I know there's more to the story, isn't there?"